Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to Flatheads

Hello,

Newbie to this world is antique motorcycles and to the AMCA. I got a hold of a 39’ Flathead and going to start working on it. Been riding for years but never on a bike this old so I’m starting to read manuals and try to learn as much as I can about it.

First things first I’m going to drain the fluids and give it new plugs. What do you guys recommend for
    oil and spark plugs? Might be a stupid question but really not sure if it matters or not when it comes to these old motors so any recommendations are appreciated.
    Cheers!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hello and welcome to the forum. You should have fun with that bike. However looking at it most of it is '41 and later, so you will need to be sure about years of the individual parts if trying to order spares, etc. Basic spark plugs are D16 Champions, basic oil straight 60 weight which is still available from H-D as well as most aftermarket suppliers.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hey Robbie,
      thanks for the info, appreciate the help.

and I figured the bike was not 100% original I just said 39’ because that’s what it’s titled as. And yes looking forward to having a blast with the bike and enjoying it.

tank shifting should be fun

Comment

Welcome, very pretty.

VIN (left case, just below the cylinders)?
        Number stamped on top of the carburetor?
        Teeth on engine sprocket?
        The Linkert Book

Comment

Nice bike! Lose the hinge part of the fender!

Comment

Henry!
            Nice Bike Welcome.
            Two suggestions:
            Check out the Virtual Library of the AMCA
            Check out your local AMCA Chapter.
            ENJOY!

Comment

Welcome. Cool looking Flatty.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Taylorfromtucson interesting about removing the hinge part of the fender.. make it more bobberish. What would you recommend for a tail light since that willl be gone?

Comment

Originally posted by henry187oc View Post
                  Taylorfromtucson interesting about removing the hinge part of the fender.. make it more bobberish. What would you recommend for a tail light since that willl be gone?
                  Not so much more bobberish as just getting that awful reproduction fender off of it. The tail section fit is horrible.
                  Lots of light options, Sparta, English, model A, etc...
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

There are attractive side mounts for the light & plate, but check with your DMV. Some States require the light to be visible from both sides.
                    The Linkert Book

Comment

Hey Taylor & Robbie,
                      after taking a look at the bike and picturing it without the hinge part of the fender i think i will go ahead and take your guy's advice. i have ordered a sparta tailight off ebay.

Thanks again!

Comment

Here is a parts pile 45 I built close to 40 years ago. Not anything on it is the same year...

orange 45 bob job.jpg
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yeah, sparto seems like the go to for that style bobbed taillight. Man, some of those aftermarket fenders fit horribly

Comment

tank shifting should be fun

Examine your shift linkage closely, too many sloppy clevises make gear changes a mystery. If you're not sure of the alignment, a Heim joint can't hurt you.
                            There's a Zerk on the clutch cable tube, make sure it's wet.
                            The Linkert Book

Comment

Here's a 1938 bobber I put together, with a 1945 U engine. Same deal, parts from all over, but a lot of fun and built as a beach racer.
                              Attached Files
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 2 photos.
                              Last edited by Steve Slocombe; 02-26-2022, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X