Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Harley WL Shift Gate

Hello,
    I am curious if a 1949 WL uses a shift gate because neither of my tanks have mounting holes. The gas tank appears to have mount for shift lever as well. Did this year not have a gate?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Your left side tank is for a right side shifter and your right side tank is for a left side shifter. You need to change out one of the tanks to match the side you want the shifter to be on.

Comment

Look down into your left tank and see if the indentation is there for the gate. It could be filled with body filler if the tanks were used on a custom application. All WLs and Servi-Cars have shift gates so there are no exceptions unless mismatched parts as Buster pointed out. Since Servi-Cars had right hand shifter options the mismatch is possible.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

thank you, I See the left tank has the mount for the shifter, i bet it was filled in and painted. I will check when I get home today.

Comment

Originally posted by rangofox View Post
          thank you, I See the left tank has the mount for the shifter, i bet it was filled in and painted. I will check when I get home today.
          The mount isn't proof in itself, left side tanks used on right hand shift also have the mount since the crossover rod uses it.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Under the paint, bondo, solder, and metal strip. The mounting was preserved.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You got lucky, good for you!!!!

Comment

Luckily they had not cut the pivot off. It must have been set up with a jockey shift, or perhaps even a B&H!
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                X