1952 45ci Air Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 45ci Air Filter

I Need a air filter for my 1952 Servi car, all I have left is the cage it had a foam insert that fell apart. K&N has a filter PN# E-2470 for $59.99 anyone know another manufacture that has one and what the part number is and what are you using? I though about using copper wool to form a new filter like the original but I would like something that would filter the air better.

The K&N will not work in a J-slot air filter housing. It is too wide and one cannot compress the filter enough to hook the slo. If you have the center screw type housing it should work.

Comment

I Have the bayonet type mount not center screw, I made a filter with copper wool but he center cage that I have was made for the foam cover and doesn't fit tight, need something to take up the space and seal

Comment

Copper wool is useful as a filter for a boat or airplane.
        Otherwise not.
        The Linkert Book

Comment

I've still got a Geoff Ringle Old Iron K&N on the shelf, Folks!

With the special stainless spring assembly, for ninety bucks.

Just opened it up again, and there is no K&N part number on the filter, although still in the bag. It measures ~1.930" in thickness.

I have never installed one, because brillo pad filter elements are absolutely the best.
          (If you don't think so, please buy my dead inventory.)

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-21-2021, 03:20 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
            Copper wool is useful as a filter for a boat or airplane.
            Otherwise not.
            In your experience what do you feel is best? I got away from foam because of fuel soaking and possible fire. I feel the K&N is too restrictive. Currently running copper mesh in a non sand environment and bike runs great. Curious for you opinion. Thanks.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Obviously, the largest area that fits inside the can is best. Read David Vizard's tests of the K&N, it's only restrictive when over-oiled (very common). There is a formula on the K&N site to determine how much filter area you need for how much power, then select a "universal" shape you can use. The usual CFM formula (D X RPM X VE / 3,456) is too small for a V-twin because the intake vacuum pulses are much stronger but much farther apart than in a V8 of the same size). An engineering friend suggested that this result times 3.3 is closer to what you want. 45.12" X 4,500 RPM X 90% VE = 53 CFM, X 3.3 = 174 CFM. K&N elements flow about 6 CFM per square inch; you need as close to 29 square inches or 6" OD X 1.54" element height + .75" for the ends = 2.30" thick. Use your actual cover ID and adjust height as needed.
              With the center screw cover, although the OD is limited by the can ID you could use a much thicker element and a longer screw. Yes, it will get wet if ridden in rain.
              Last edited by kitabel; 11-21-2021, 07:24 PM.
              The Linkert Book

Comment

Jerry Greer sells a K&N that is made for the J-slot type cover.
                Part # JG-2922
                https://www.jerrygreersengineering.com/search?q=K%26N+filter

Comment

That looks like K&N E-3180,
                  • Height: 1.75 in
                  • Inside Diameter: 4.5 in
                  • Outside Diameter: 5.875 in
                  The filter area is 18.45", smaller than I would like
                  Last edited by kitabel; 11-21-2021, 08:20 PM.
                  The Linkert Book

Comment

Working...
                  X