Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

45 flywheels with a ridge at the end of the taper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 flywheels with a ridge at the end of the taper?

I am working on my friends 45 engine which he bought in boxes some 30 years ago. I noticed a small ridge at the narrow end of the taper on each flywheel in the crank pin taper and wondered about it so I carefully installed the rod set in and only torqued to 75 ft/lbs and found there was zero end play with a tight spot. I wonder if the taper is worn to the point the angle in the flywheel does not match the angle on the crank pin. If anyone has come across this issue and any suggestions would be appreciated. I attached pictures
    Thanks
    Pete::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Attached Files

The flywheels are malleable, Pete!

So it is common for distortions that can make truing difficult.

I cut the agony dramatically when I began lapping the tapers: http://virtualindian.org/10techfly.htm

...Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank you very much Cotten My friend and I were worried he may have to buy a set of wheels. We may be able to salvage these with your trick and website!! I will have to build a jig to hold the flywheel in my tail stock as it is the crank pin tapers that are pooched but we will make something work.
      Pete:::::::::::;;;

Comment

Please note, Pete,...

The flywheel is not held firmly by anything, as it must be free to correct itself to the lapping shaft in the headstock. I used a large bronze bushing held by the tailstock, however, to apply light pressure and prevent the flywheel from falling off the shaft.

Many folks successfully hand-lap; I only resorted to the lathe for real sick puppies. Often hand-scraping any upset metal took it most of the way.

I look forward to any questions you may have,

...Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks again we are going to work on them this weekend.

Comment

Cotten
            I have some what of a service manual that mentions clearances only. There is no mention of any torque values. This book says very tight or sometimes 3 sharp blows with a hammer etc.. What do you use for crank pin torque? Also are there different thicknesses of flywheel thrust washers like what you find in a shovel? If not I will take some meat off of the forked rod and cages to get 0.008'' my book says 0.006-0.010'' so if I have to alter I will fit it in the middle
            Thanks
            Pete:::::::::;;;;;;;;
            Last edited by Pete Engelman; 11-20-2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Sharp blows would be foolish, Pete,...

A shock is the last thing you want to introduce to a trued assembly.

Its been a quarter century since I did a 45", so we better rely upon a generic chart for a spec, but no matter what, the whole purpose of a torsion torque wrench is to let you feel the fastener 'creep', and let you know when it is firm and secure. (If you are using a "clicker", all bets are off...)

The variety of various thicknesses of thrustwashers available requires a catalog search (although I'm sure I have a selection in dead inventory somewhere, since they were usually bought in multiple packs).

Side clearance on the female rod disappears with successive assemblies, as the wheels are malleable, so the pins pull in further and further. Grinding the rod is so tedious that I commissioned over-length OHV pins from JIMS. Sometimes its easiest to grind the thrustwasher.

.....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

I have a 1959-1973 factory Servicar manual that gives torque ratings. Sprocket and pinion nuts 85-125 lbs. Crankpin nut 60-100 lbs.

Comment

Cotten
                  I was just kidding on the sharp blows. That is written somewhere in my 1966 manual.
                  I'll use 100 ft/lbs
                  I have a beam torque wrench I don't trust my clicker
                  Thnks
                  Pete:::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;
                  Last edited by Pete Engelman; 11-20-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

It seems familiar to me too, Pete,...

"Field repairs" were expected to be crude I guess.

I'll bet the wrench tells you to go to 125 at very least.

Let us hope somebody doin' 45"s chimes in!

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

As mentioned earlier, Buster has a servicar manual that says 60-100 ft/lbs for 59-73 thanks for the input Buster but changes could have been made from the earlier models
                      I hope so too. At 75 the wheels move too easy, light taps over extend the intended movement.
                      Me like SHOVEL no me LOVE shovel
                      Thanks
                      Pete:::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;

Comment

I forgot to mention. We filed out the ridge carefully in the shallow end of the taper then I used an old crank pin and put a cross hatch pattern on the taper with my dremel tool then with some 320 grit clover LC we lapped the tapers of the flywheel it worked GREAT you could feel the cutting action. I then used some prussian blue and saw the taper was in full contact with the new crank pin and now at 75 ft/lbs on the crank pin nuts we have a tight 0.010'' end play!! at 100 ft/lbs or even a little more we will still be within tolerance. Lapping gave us 0.004'' end play and we rubbed 0.003'' off of each side of the forked rod.
                        Thanks you everybody we were able to salvage Allan's flywheels and is he a happy man
                        Pete
                        Last edited by Pete Engelman; 11-21-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Now just need a good solid torque value, get them true and we'll be off to the races! Slow races

Comment

Just found verification in Palmers second addition. Page 344. 1937-73 45 motors. Pinion/Sprocket shafts 85-125 lbs. Crankpin 60-100 lbs. I just did mine last week with all around 85-90 lbs.

Comment

Thank you Buster

Comment

Working...
                              X