45" Harley Flathead Scavenger Pump Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45" Harley Flathead Scavenger Pump Problem

Putting together 45" Harley flathead motor. I understand when installing scavenger oil pump to case you tighten 4 corner nuts that hold it to case and then tighten two center center bolts that hold pump halves together. After I tighten 4 corner nuts the pump spins freely,. When I then tighten two center bolts the pump tightens up and does not spin freely. Can I install two gaskets between the upper and lower halves of the pump for additional spacing or what is my problem. Thanks!

Just figured out the two gasket solution is not an option on an oil pump.

Comment

I found the problem. Took out the new replacement gasket and inserted old gasket. Now pump turns freely. The old gasket is a couple of thou thicker then new gasket.

Comment

Can you post what the 2 different thicknesses are? Thanks.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The new gasket is 0.015" and the old gasket that works is 0.019". Got the new gasket in kit from 45 Restoration so dont know who made it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
            Just figured out the two gasket solution is not an option on an oil pump.
            I am new to 45 motor assembly and getting ready to do a '38 and '48, why to your statement?

The new gasket is 0.015" and the old gasket that works is 0.019". Got the new gasket in kit from 45 Restoration so dont know who made it.

My gaskets from Eastern are about .011, so to my above question if I have the same problem as you. Doesn't gear cavity wear and gear thickness have a say in gasket thickness?
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

There could be wear in mine. I would try the .011 gasket and see if pump turns freely. Mine would bind when I put pump on crankcase and tighten two center bolts. The Military Manual says to not tighten these two center bolts until the four corner nuts have been tightened to case.

Comment

I could swear that the Dixie military surplus gaskets were paper, very thin, never had a problem.
                The Linkert Book

Comment

Working...
                X