‘ 35 VL ride control ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘ 35 VL ride control ?

How does a front fork ride control work? I assume it restricts spring rate / bounce. Does it work well or is it unnecessary. I guess my other question is when is it necessary to have a front fork ride control on your bike? Thank you. 6C408DFE-D5A3-46C1-AC39-AC3601AC0871.png
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

You need it as soon as you get tired of bouncing down the road.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

It is simply a friction device used to somewhat control the bouncing movement of the springer front end. In later HD models a hydraulic shock absorber (similar to a cars) was used. I don't have one on my VLD but it is a matter of personal preference. If possible maybe you could try a friends bike that has one to make the comparison. Hope this helps.....Smitty

Comment

I'm sure it would affect tire wear also and I had the opportunity to get a really nice one from Dave at Harbor Vintage at the Terryville meet.....just wasn't in the budget at the time. Also somewhat of a real pain in the neck to install on my 36 with 1 yr. only spring shield (cover) on the springer. Yeah....that's my excuse...not the money, just the hassle we'll go with that.

Comment

Smitty, I assume the one you were going to buy was an original part. Curious what the price was on it. I’ve never seen an original yet pop up on the net but there’s repose for around $350. Thank you Smitty

Comment

I personally won't ride a springer forked bike of any era without a rebound damper of some sort.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Know anyone that’s got one for my ‘35VLD? Are they all repo or did Harley actually make one?

Comment

Can you read?

1935 special color.jpg
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Harley made them as accessories, part 11250-30, and for 1936 they would have been part of the standard accessory package. I would fit the steering damper first to stop side to side shimmying, but I've had pogo-ing over concrete roads at about 40 mph which is pretty unpleasant, and fitting the ride control cured it.

Comment

It's only $4.75 so... why not just order a new one?
                    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

rebound damper
                      Since it has the same effect regardless of which way the fork is moving, it's just a damper. Some hydraulic shocks are direction sensitive (more damping on compression than rebound, or the reverse), but not friction devices.

How would it affect tire wear?
                      The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by Hdace View Post
                        Are they all repo or did Harley actually make one?

Comment

Working...
                        X