18" Kelsey-Hayes 45 rear rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" Kelsey-Hayes 45 rear rim

Anyone have any ideas or experience with regards to repairing some outer rim damage to a KH 18" 45 rear wheel ? I was thinking of adding some brazing or lead to build up damage and blend repair back into rim's finish. The damage is very slight and shouldn't add much to the balance of rim. I really don't want to use any putty, unless that's the norm for this type of repair. Any help and suggestions are appreciated for this ORIGINAL wheel ! Thanks, Twister the Fitter

Originally posted by Twister the fitter View Post
    Anyone have any ideas or experience with regards to repairing some outer rim damage to a KH 18" 45 rear wheel ? I was thinking of adding some brazing or lead to build up damage and blend repair back into rim's finish. The damage is very slight and shouldn't add much to the balance of rim. I really don't want to use any putty, unless that's the norm for this type of repair. Any help and suggestions are appreciated for this ORIGINAL wheel ! Thanks, Twister the Fitter

If you are going to fix minor imperfections in a rim do not use weld or brazing. Too easy to distort the wheel. I have used lacquer putty which is jellied paint and under powder coating I have used lab metal which can withstand the heat from the powder coating process.

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 01-03-2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jerry, I think I'll give that stuff a try. It only gets repainted with period correct OD paint anyways. Twister

Comment

Working...
      X