Harley Davidson WL front cylinder issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotten has all the neat tools!

On my VL the torque wrench reaches all the bolts just fine but I realize we’re not talking about a VL

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I don't think much of "clickers", Folks...

Get a common, cheap torsion wrench with a dual drive, both up and down.
    Then adapters, such as "obstruction wrenches" (which should always make a ninety degree angle from you hand to the end of the wrench to the fastener) can be used in four different positions to access fasteners when things are in the way.

....Cotten
    PS: I've got two or three spares if anybody needs one (and cheaper than the clicker!)

Comment

I have tried to use torque wrenches in all my jobs.
      In my teens, I used a lever torque wrench with an indicator as per cottons photo. I always knew it was not very accurate, but it allowed me to be consistent. I think I still have one somewhere.

As I learnt more, and had more money, i went to a click type torque wrench. I still use these to this day, although the quality is much better these days.

If we disregard the actual torque settings, a torque wrench will give you some consistency in your bolt torques, even with a lever/pointer type.

When you are starting out, it is important to understand how tight bolts need to be. It is part of being a good mechanic and is part of the learning process.
      Over time, you learn to feel how tight a bolt should be.

Comment

When I worked government R&D, Mick,..

A 'lever-pointer' torsion wrench was manditory, as it is more consistent and durable than a spring-loaded clicker.

A clicker steals your patience and feel, and doesn't allow the fastener to "creep" while held at the spec.

A correction to my previous post: An obstruction wrench will fit upon a dual-drive wrench in eight different positions.

...Cotten
        PS: I'll have two torsion wrenches available at D-port, Folks,... cheap.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton,
          I am sure any Gov equipment is going to be better than the torque wrenches that most of us have.
          There are a lot of very accurate ways to measure torque these days.

The inherent variables associated with bolted joints make it difficult to obtain an exact torque setting, unless a specification and procedure is documented.
          For most of our work, a torque value plus or minus something is usually adequate. I think a more important value is consistent torque through the joint.

I assume what you call an obstruction wrench is what i call a torque adapter. Short wrench with a ring spanned on one end and a square drive on the other.
          I am sure most people know this, but just in case, I will state it anyway.
          There are only one or two angular positions where the torque wrench setting is correct. Any other positions need formula if you want your setting to be correct.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X