Questions on Sport and Utility Solo Groups on WL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Sport and Utility Solo Groups on WL

Hello all. My name is Karl and this is my first post to this forum. I am in the process of putting together a '49 WL that I bought in boxes and I have a couple of questions on the Sport and Utility Solo groups. Thanks much to Chris Haynes for posting the 1949 Dealer Order Blank on his web site.
    I am trying to make this bike as correct as possible and need to clarify a few things:
    Sport Solo Group
    Were the footboards chrome? I didn't see any mention of it, just want to know for sure.
    Colored shift ball - What color or is this the dice shift knob?
    Was the hand shift lever itself chrome?
    Stainless foot lever - Is that the brake or clutch they are referring to?
    Are the short and long brake levers supposed to be cad or parkerized or?
    Fork springs finish?
    I know it came with chrome rims but what finish on the spokes?
    What color should the rear brake drum be?
    Utility Solo Group
    I see that they came with black rims, but were the spokes black as well?
    Brakes, hub, everything black?
    Was the trim ring around the head light black too?
    Fork springs finish?
    Were the shift gate and lever black or chrome?
    All primary cover inspections plates are black?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked online for photos of original '49s but man, without knowing I don't know what to look for to make this bike correct. Does anyone have a '49 brochure or accessory catalog that I could get a copy of?
    Thanks much,
    Karl

Hello all. My name is Karl and this is my first post to this forum. I am in the process of putting together a '49 WL that I bought in boxes and I have a couple of questions on the Sport and Utility Solo groups. Thanks much to Chris Haynes for posting the 1949 Dealer Order Blank on his web site.
    I am trying to make this bike as correct as possible and need to clarify a few things:
    Sport Solo Group
    Were the footboards chrome? I didn't see any mention of it, just want to know for sure.
    Colored shift ball - What color or is this the dice shift knob?
    Was the hand shift lever itself chrome?
    Stainless foot lever - Is that the brake or clutch they are referring to?
    Are the short and long brake levers supposed to be cad or parkerized or?
    Fork springs finish?
    I know it came with chrome rims but what finish on the spokes?
    What color should the rear brake drum be?
    Utility Solo Group
    I see that they came with black rims, but were the spokes black as well?
    Brakes, hub, everything black?
    Was the trim ring around the head light black too?
    Fork springs finish?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked online for photos of original '49s but man, without knowing I don't know what to look for to make this bike correct. Does anyone have a '49 brochure or accessory catalog that I could get a copy of?
    Thanks much,
    Karl

Fork springs finish?
    Thanks much,
    Karl [/QUOTE]

Every one of those questions is answered in Bruce Palmer's restoration guide Karl, you need one!!

Footboards were NEVER chrome in any group.
    Colored shift ball was plastic, and not dice.
    Shift lever is chrome
    Stainless foot lever is referring to the clutch pivot cover
    Brake levers are parkerized.
    Spokes are Cad, always in '49 on all models.
    Brake drums are always black.

Black rims used Cad spokes
    Yes
    No, it was chrome on 45s in 49 in all groups.
    Fork springs are parkerized
    Inspection covers black in utility group.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Karl, it would probably help you a lot if you got a copy of Bruce Palmer's book; How To Restore Your Harley-Davidson.

Comment

Thanks much for the info. I do have a Palmer book, but I was in AZ and saw an ad for NOS parts, turned out it was NOS Tedd's Cycle.
        I do have another question that I can't find an answer to in the Palmer book. 1947-'50 tank emblems, the Palmer book says a red circle but it doesn't say letter colors. I always thought they were black but I've been seeing some of these emblems on eBay labeled as original that have red letters. I have my original emblems although the circles were painted black at some point and I want to correct it and figured I'd check on the lettering too, mine are black. Were they black or?
        Thanks much,
        Karl

Comment

OEM are only black. And the stamping differs considerably from the repops. All OEM are marked FOX on the back. One thing I can tell you Karl is slow down and educate yourself, you are posting on every site and spinning like a meth freak. You will make lots of mistakes (Some could be costly) with this approach. Learn first, buy later....
          Last edited by Rubone; 01-15-2019, 09:39 PM.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks, Robbie. I'll type slower next time.

Comment

OEM are only black?

Comment

My bad Duffy, I guess I am the one who needs to type slower. Lettering on OEM is only red, aftermarket are black as well as the occasional odd color.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I know, Sidecars for a 45" weren't available in '49. I guess this one was for a special police dept.
                  Last edited by Chris Haynes; 01-17-2019, 01:41 AM.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks much for the info. I do have a Palmer book, but I was in AZ and saw an ad for NOS parts, turned out it was NOS Tedd's Cycle.
                    I do have another question that I can't find an answer to in the Palmer book. 1947-'50 tank emblems, the Palmer book says a red circle but it doesn't say letter colors. I always thought they were black but I've been seeing some of these emblems on eBay labeled as original that have red letters. I have my original emblems although the circles were painted black at some point and I want to correct it and figured I'd check on the lettering too, mine are black. Were they black or?
                    Thanks much,
                    Original badge, red letters, red circle,crisp letters,fox,click to enlarge

47badge.jpg
                    Last edited by 1950Panhead; 01-17-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Reproduction badge
                      47badge-repo.jpg

Comment

Back and front view of OEM badge. Third pic is OEM on top and touched up repop on bottom.CIMG0957.JPGCIMG0958.JPGCIMG0959.JPG

Comment

Thanks for the photos. I have the original pair although the lettering and the circle were painted black some years ago and flakes off real easy. I think I'll just remove the black and leave them blank, would look better than brand new red on old emblems seems to me. I am assuming the originals were screen printed so probably a very thin layer of ink in the first place. Is there a way to re-do the red without it looking cheesy?

Comment

The red over black on the repop was done by a friend of mine. He used a very small brush and a rag ( to wipe away any miscues ). It was tedious work, but in the end it made a Taiwan badge look more presentable. Also, he being a former sign painter didn't hurt either.
                            Craig

Comment

I've always used model airplane paint to do them, it isn't very shiny. Pinstiping paint will flow well too. The red is lighter than the red used in that era for paint on sheetmetal.
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X