No announcement yet.

42wlc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that Panhead, so you saying my frame is 1942, the same as the engine, this seems to contradict Steve Slocombe who says its a 1943. Do you have any official evidence of frame numbers, because I may need it to register the bike here in France.

Comment

so you saying my frame is 1942, the same as the engine,
      Checking Palmers, Peter is correct, 1942 frames are 3,4,5,6 1943 frames are 7,8,9,10
      So you likely have a January 1942 engine and a 1943 frame.

Comment

That would be my call too, and no need to panic as I said in my earlier post. Are the AMCA judges even checking die numbers yet when judging WW2 bikes? I'm not sure I would want them to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
          Just one more comment on should you restore pre 4800 or post 10,000 The main issue in my humble opinion is that the first 5 symbols tell the tale from a Canadian perspective. 42WLC.... is what determines whether you go 1942 resto or 1943 resto in Canadian military trim. So I hark back to my first post, I think there is no option but to do a 1942 style WLC military look.If your bike was a WLA...different story.
          OK I cannot comment on Euro registration rules but here in the colonies we have conceded that a WLC has no frame number (by law) and that the engine number speaks to the registration. That is why my comments are around whether the engine is a 42 or a 43 WLC as that would dictate what the sheet metal and accessories might be. As for AMCA judging I suspect that they would never check frame serial numbers on a WLA or WLC...a Vincent ..Yes...an Indian ...Yes.. They have bonified frame numbers. Best of luck in your surroundings and Steve Slocombe is the Euro Guru for rule s over there.
          Ross

Comment

The regs in the UK normally go on the frame number, the problem there is that there are hundreds of WLA and C's with the frame number ZE-35T! I have the original buff log book that has that number. I think that I will restore it as a 42, because of the early crank case number and also because it has the high level head light fitted and the rear mud guard is an early one, although it does have the original 'Fred Warr' valances on. I noticed that a lot of C's had frame numbers stamped by the Canadians, just under the saddle. I could always stamp the engine number there and that should satisfy the French authorities.

Comment

As of yet the AMCA is not checking die numbers. I do not think it will ever happen except maybe to bikes judged as original paint. Jerry

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
              That would be my call too, and no need to panic as I said in my earlier post. Are the AMCA judges even checking die numbers yet when judging WW2 bikes? I'm not sure I would want them to.

Comment

Working...
              X