33-36 VL Oil Pump & VL Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33-36 VL Oil Pump & VL Information

Attached is a photo of page one from an article written about VL oil pumps. Does anyone recognize it , know who wrote it, is there a book out there I'm not aware of? Any written information about the VL would be nice to know of. I have Steve's book and a couple of rider's hand books and the oil pump article and that's about it. Thanks
    Attached Files

Thanks John. It would be great to have the whole publication/article if someone could come up with it. Another interesting piece of information to file away for us VL owners.

Comment

I COULD PUT THE WHOLE 17 PAGES ON THE FORUM BUT IT'S TO LARGE OF A FILE. IF ANYONE WANTS THE COMPLETE ARTICLE, JUST GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I'LL SEND IT. IF YOU HAVE ANY ARTICLES ON THE VL, SEND THEM TO: indjon@shaw.ca

Comment

Dear John, that extract is from Johnny Sells' excellent book 'A Restoration Guide for 1929-36 Harley-Davidson 45" Twins' obtainable from him at www.vintagemotorcycleworks.com. I'm sure everyone would want to buy the book rather than infringe his copyright.

Comment

Hi Steve,
          I know what you mean. I was wondering where that article came from. I will point people in Johnny's direction. I was hoping for more information on the restoration of VL's but I don't think there's anything more to be had other than your book, which I already have. Thanks......John

Comment

Dear John, for those with the fifth edition of my book, the VL Heaven Website has additions under 'Technical' which bring it right up to date with the current printing. I've been asked for a paragraph summarising striping widths, and will consider adding other items as fresh information comes to light. Please let me know.

Comment

Hi Steve,
              There are two gaskets / shims in the oil pump. My friend believes one gasket is for the pump area and one metal adjusting shim to adjust the cam actuator. There's nothing in the parts manual or any writings on the metal shim which is the same as the gasket except for the earlier shim which was close the the paper gasket. What's your take on this?

Comment

Oil pumps have often been disassembled before I see them, but the 1928-33 oil pumps all seem to have a thin paper gasket 707-28 between the body and the adjusting mechanism. There is a similarly shaped 708-28 steel adjusting plate spacer outside the adjusting plate. The two little 021 screws fit through the ears in this spacer to hold the pump adjuster in position. On the outside, but under the final 0108 nut, is 703-28, a shaped/domed spring washer to smooth out the operating mechanism.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                  One thing I didn't mention in the post is:
                  Working on two oil pumps and they are both 1934"s......John

Comment

Dear John, Johnny Sells' book shows pictures of just about every part in the 1934-36 Harley oil pump, while my VL book has an exploded diagram taken from the 1953 Rikuo parts manual, plus a rebuild procedure. While they all work the same, there are three different end caps, with the last one needing longer screws, the early 1934 body is recessed to fit the tappet adjuster screws, and first 1934 pumps have a different length low speed adjuster screw. These pumps are getting hard to find, so well done having two.

Comment

Thanks Steve. It's my friend and I who are building the VL's. I have sent you an email on that but haven't gotten a response yet.

Comment

Dear John, the Email address below is more reliable than going through the Website.

Comment

I have been working on an oil pump test bed for 33-36 oil pumps. I just figured out today motor runs CW and I need it to run CCW. Easy fix by adding gear 3, then pump gear will run CCW.

You guys have anything fab'd like this?
                          I've been moving pretty slow getting this rig together.

Needs more work.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Greg Fittro; 07-29-2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Dear Greg, I heard of one other test rig a while ago. I made a few 638-34 oil pump drive shafts for anyone wanting to try, or if your 1934-36 number four cam is damaged on VLs or RLs.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Fittro View Post
                              I have been working on an oil pump test bed for 33-36 oil pumps. I just figured out today motor runs CW and I need it to run CCW. Easy fix by adding gear 3, then pump gear will run CCW.

You guys have anything fab'd like this?
                              I've been moving pretty slow getting this rig together.

Needs more work.
                              Hey that is a neat idea! Keep going!
                              Are you planning to have a controller to adjust RPMs? I think it would be kind of cool to see mine running on a bench and play with the chain oiler adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                              X