Looking for info on '47 wire routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on '47 wire routing

I’m currently piecing together a ’47 WL from many various & unrelated parts that I’ve been collecting for several years. It’s getting pretty close, although there is still a lot of work left to do.

What I’m looking for is info on the routing of the wiring.

I have a repop ’47 only harness (which is actually about 13 or 14 separate pieces). I have a wiring schematic, & I do understand basic wiring, so for the most part I know what needs to be connected to what.

What I have to figure out is which piece of the harness to use for each run. I think I’ve figured out some of it on my own, but there are several things that I can’t seem to get sorted. For example, there are two pieces which each have one red, one green & one black wire. Which one goes where? There’s another one which has one red, one green & two black (but there doesn’t seem to be a harness in the schematic that has these four wires…). On another spot on the schematic it seems to show a harness that has a green wire that’s split in the middle, but there is nothing like that in the kit I’ve got.

So I’ve now decided what would really help is some pics of the routing. Anybody got any good photos of the routing for a ’47? If you have pics of Knuck or BT Flatty wire routing, I’d like to see that too, cuz they are nearly identical. I’m also looking for pics that show the terminals, cuz lots of wires have ring terminals on one end & flag type on the other. Other info that might help would be the length of various wires, cuz there are several wires that are identical except for the length. So, most any guidance would be welcome.

Over the years I have occasionally tried searching this forum for an answer. But today I’ve not been able to find what I need (maybe it’s not in there, or maybe I’m no just good at searching …).

I tried asking this question on another forum with no results so far, so I’m hoping someone here can help.

Thanks very much!

Do a search here. I have put up at least a couple of dozen pictures over the years. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Hi, Bob,

Thanks for posting all those pics. I’d love to be able to find a few of them.

Like I said, I have searched this site extensively & not really found anything.

Here's the conundrum:
      I've searched every variation of “1947 Harley WL wire routing” I can think of. Unfortunately, the way the search feature works, if I tell it to search for "47 WL wiring" it will return every post with "47" in it, every post with "wl" in it and every post with "wiring" in it. So every search I've tried returns 500+ hits.

Like I said, I've searched, but if there is way to narrow the search so that it only returns 47 & wl & wiring that might work. Actually, I think if I could just narrow it down to “47 wiring” I’d find what I need. I tried putting "47 wiring" in quotes, but that didn't work. Are there other wild cards?

Comment

All the wiring is shown in good clear photos in Palmer's resto guide.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have several '47 photos. Trying to see where wiring is is difficult at best.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
          X