VL 4 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL 4 speed

I am wondering if the 4 speed and 3+reverse transmission cases are the same in 1935. I have a gearbox that has the larger stud holes and machining for the 4 speed lid and shifting mechanism, but also has the 3 speed shiftfork and shaft. The trans is 3 speed and does not look like it's ever been apart. Any thoughts or comments welcome. Thanks, Kyle
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

2257-31 and 2257-36A is case for 3 speed + reverse
    2257-36B is the four speed case, different.

Comment

Dear Kyle, the four speed VL box was an option for 1936 only, so will not have the earlier cast ear in the case to match the two piece inner primary. It is similar to the reverse box, and takes the same lid, but there is even more relieving on the inside to clear the low speed countershaft gear. The four speed and reverse cases also do not have the hole for the shifter shaft as it uses the pancake shifter in the cast iron lid. For the reverse box, Harley managed to use the mainshaft and countershaft from the 3-speed, but on the four speed only the drain plug and the main gear bushing and races survive from the 3 speed box. I've seen reverse boxes stripped of the idler gear and used as 3-speeds so you may have one of these. Pictures would help.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I have two of these cases, the one I was speaking of, looks like factory machining for the shift fork shaft, the other an obvious home conversion with a bolt shank for the shaft.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
        X