1949 Harley "45" Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Harley "45" Oil Change

Anyone have a good method for draining the oil from the right side Oil Tank without it being a complete mess?
    Removing the drain plug at the base of the tank, will drop the oil all over the front of the motor.
    I have tried to pump it out, via a hand pump with a hose in the tank...but I don't think it really drains out fully.

And...is there also a drain plug at the base of the engine for if & when the oil decides to sump in the bottom; due to me not starting it weekly?

Thanks!
    Matt Allyn
    1932 Ford Roadster / 1949 Mercury Coupe / 1949 Harley Davidson 45 / 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible / 1957 Lincoln Premiere Convertible / 1959 Lambretta TV175 / 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Convertible / 1962 Chrysler New Yorker Station Wagon / 1962 Chrysler 300H / 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport / 1964 International Travelall / 2015 Tesla Model S

I put cheap aluminum foil over the top of the motor. It forms well and covers the head area from drips. I then use a piece of plastic gutter cut to length to go to the drain pan. This works well if you don't let the gutter drop.

Comment

I have a plastic oil pan that fits under the tank and on top of the head. And I just sit there while it drips.

Comment

Working...
      X