47' 45" Bobber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47' 45" Bobber

I restored a basket case 45" about 11 years ago and then let someone talk me out of it. I have been looking for another 45 so I could build a "period correct 45" Bobber" out of it.

After looking and looking, I finally settled on one. It is a long way off from what I wanted (but very lose to what I could afford). It has a good 45" solo frame, tanks, tranny, and a 47G engine. It runs and drives good. It also came with a sportster front end and rear wheel. And... a suicide clutch and a jockey shift.

I know I'm a long way off, and it may take forever get to the "period correct 45" Bobber" I'm looking for.

My main question is: Can a member ride a non-period correct, miss matched, work in progress, 45" on a amca road run ??

Dal Aymond
    Jonesville, Louisiana

Howdy Dal, I say yes you are very welcome. Of course I don't have any authority to say so. Summer before last I rode with a nice fella named Tom from the Highlands Chapter riding a modified 45 solo. Last year I rode the Blue Ridge Chapter run and rode with a guy on a V-rod. (I know it was you JB, and please don't take any offence, your enthusiasm is most welcome.) I really don't care to see late model motorcycles on the road runs. The exception being, if you are sneaking up on 100 and you don't feel comfortable on old, poor stopping, kick start motorcycles. I think elder member John Bowman sets a fine example, early to rise and ride, often kickstarting a 441 BSA Victor. John has obviously refined the starting technique, I know from experience this motorcycle will make a strong young man work. I respectfully ask that other older members follow this example. Bring the old iron out on these runs, there may come a time when you when you get to old to ride them. When present I will always avail myself to starting help. I met a gentleman who rode in on an Indian four in Oley a couple of years ago, kind of a skinny old man, didn't look he was much good for kicking any more. I said "no offence meant but I'd think you'd have a hard time starting that bike." He said " Hell I can't start this bike anymore, why do you think I'm riding with these young guys, they love to crank it for me. That's the Spirit!

Comment

Newer machines on road runs

As the wife and I only can afford one geezer machine and we both like to ride.It only seems fair that one of us (probably me) will be riding the newer machine on any road run as back up to our geezer. Will this exclude us? If so I will cancel all and you can keep your noses in the wind without us. Member #12266

Comment

Dneagle. You better let Mary ride the iron, judging from your road tales post, she's kinda hard on the late model stuff!

Comment

Good Point!
          But see ,theres'method in the madness! The way I figure it an old ride for her would cut down on throttle response and give s both something to work on together.No EFI, no computer, etc.. It's just like my old Chevy. Kinda. Plus (don't tell her) it feeds my addiction for tinkering and old stuff searching. HMMM... maybe I should rethinkthat throttle thing,what with no return spring and all? Thanks for the reply!!

Comment

The Evergreen Chapter is holding a National Road Run this August on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. I am this year's Chapter President and I will be riding a 1946 WL with 48 later gas tanks. transmission and drag pipes. We welcome all old iron wheter or not it has been restored.

Comment

Working...
            X