1936 vld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 vld

Starting a 1936 VLD project and was curious if the rider's handbook is worth buying. I have Steve Slocombe's book which is a very impressive book with an incredible amount of sufficient information. Just curious if the Harley handbook is worth having or just a novelty to say you have it. Also, I don't have any experience with 6V generator systems. Why do most people speak so negative of 6V systems? Anything I need to know, or be weary of with 6V system? Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

Mike

I have run a 6 volt 3 brush system on my 36 VL for years. Easy to adjust and if rebuilt properly very trouble free. Yes the light is not overly bright but that's the way they were. 28,000 miles on my VL and only a few brush adjustments and cleaning.I like things the way they were, more fun.
    Ross

Comment

You can download the VL Riders Handbook for nothing from the Club Virtual Library. It contains good general advice plus diagrams useful when making adjustments. On 6 volt systems I've always been happy with these if you use the heavy 6 volt original style wiring. A lot of older bikes were rewired with thinner 12 volt wires which is what I think causes the problems, plus running acessory lamps etc. Today we also have optional halogen and LED bulbs which use less power for the same light as the original incandescent bulbs.

Comment

The Riders Handbook has an unbelievable amount of good information for such a small book, well worth having.
        Rich
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Even though I have Steve's book, I TOO recommend getting the Riders Manual. Not just a novelty for sure.
          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I too, say the more information the better. It is small enough that if you wanted to it could go in the tool box for any on the road issues/questions. For that I would opt for a less expensive reprint.
            I also have no issues running 6 volt stuff as my 3 VL's and other numerous knuckles, flatheads and pans are all still 6 volt. Just don't over drive your lights is all. How much night time running are you planning on doing?? Stock configurations work for me and I'm not having to try to remember how the bike I'm currently on is set up. JMHO.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA #12766

Comment

Where is this free download? I can't find it.

Comment

I figured it out, just can't find the VL riders handbook.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                  I figured it out, just can't find the VL riders handbook.
                  The 1935 version is here... http://antiquemotorcycle.org/virtual...roducts_id=156
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I doubt I will be riding at night a whole lot, so the 6 volt system shouldn't be a problem. Although similar to the 45" W's, the VL and total loss oil system is all new to me, so I'm sure I will have to bother you all with more questions down the road. All of you AMCA members and this forum provide such a valuable resource for younger people like myself.

Mike

Comment

Since the total loss oil system is new to you.... don't worry about that little trail of oil that spills out of your primary cover when you take off. This happens to me when I leave the bike sit for long periods of time. So, what I do is, after I start it to help keep the oil off the driveway, I may ride out to the street by riding it over the grass if the bike has sat. If I rode it within a few days, then I just go out the driveway and there isn't any trail of oil. I have a BIG yard, so it isn't a problem. The oil ends up in the primary due to the "Chain Oiler". Do some searching on the forums and you'll see info about this. I just had my 32e generator rebuilt and even though I too don't really ride it at night, I like to have that option of maybe turning on the headlight during the day when riding in a 'busy' area.

Just have fun with it! I LOVE my VL's.
                      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                        Cory, I didn't download that manual, but that says it is for the 45" twin.
                        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

As Jim said don't worry about the oil dripping. Just remember that when you take your new bike to show it off at a friends house, don't park on his driveway!
                          Bob Selph
                          1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                          1940 Sport Scout
                          AMCA#15215

Comment

Mike,
                            I too love my VL's but they are different to ride from other later hand shift bikes. It may be a bit hard to get it into gear initially but just take it easy and it will go. Once you have gottenit in the first tiem it usually goes okay after that. Also since it is a slding gear tranny it can be a little more difficult to get nice smooth shifts. It is just a learning curve you are going to have to adjust to but once you have it down they are a lot of fun and with the narrower wheels and tires they are nimble and handle surprisingly well. They are not really geard for the highway, since there wern't really any, but Steve has sprockets available incase that is where you want to go. I find them best on back roads at speeds up to around 50 or so. They have great torque so they pull well. Enjoy!!!!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                            AMCA# 12766

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                              Cory, I didn't download that manual, but that says it is for the 45" twin.
                              By golly you're right Jim. Not really what a VL guy is looking for!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X