Gear case cover question 30v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear case cover question 30v

Could someone please tell me what is the purpose of the spring under the cap at the end of the crankshaft on the gearcase cover on a 30v?

it holds a little cork washer in to keep your oil going in where it should

Comment

Ok, apparently that area is an inlet to the oil pump thru the hollow right crandshaft.
      I'm still trying to get a hand on this oiling system. As I haven't split the crankcase and am not sure I will at this time can somebody tell me how or where or when the oil gets into the hollow crank?

Comment

The oil pump , on the cam cover ,is driven by a cam shaft. The oil pumps to the end of the crankshaft pinion shaft end. The cork washer is held with the spring to make a tight seal. The oil then travels through the pinion shaft, then through a drilled hole passage in the flywheel, then to the crank pin. The oil then exits a hole via a hole in the center of the crankpin and lubricates the rod rollers and then flings out to lubricate pistons and main bearings. I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks guys.
          That makes alot more sense than the way I was looking at it with oil coming from the hollow crank.

Comment

That's it, and don't forget there is a shaped metal sleeve under the spring to bear against that cork seal. It makes you wonder how pre-1929 Harleys managed without oil being pumped to the crankpin. Conversely, it suggests that splash lubrication of the crank pin is probably still important in the VL.

Comment

Working...
            X