Side Hack 741

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Hack 741

Hi Folks, anyone know what sidecar would be suitable for an Indian 741? My wife wants a sidecar for her 1941.Thanks.

Hi good luck in your search, I am looking for a Harley sidecar for a 69FLH. In my search I came across this one http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/1871273965.html sorry no pictures on this one, here is another
    http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1900175092.html
    Last edited by Neil74; 09-02-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rigb View Post
      Hi Folks, anyone know what sidecar would be suitable for an Indian 741? My wife wants a sidecar for her 1941.Thanks.
      I will have to keep an eye on this topic I have a 1942 Indian 741 that I want to hang a sidecar on
      Chuck
      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I have a friend that has a military 741 which I rode, but I don't think it has the horsepower to pull a sidecar. I had a sidecar on a 1951 H-D FL and it would do the job but the sidecar had a profound influence on it's performance. I know you can bore the cylinders on a 741 to get more horsepower but even then, you would be taxing it's limits. Additionally, I don't believe there are any provisions on the 741 frame for a sidecar which would imply that Indian never intended the 741 to do sidecar duty. It's possible that a modern aftermarket fiberglass sidecar could be fitted and would be compatible with the 741's power but I think the sidecar would have to be for looks and not for passengers.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Your best bet would be to hang a Goulding Litecar on it. The Ls version was sold specifically for the HD 45 and might work on the 741. And as stated above, the Injun may not have enough umph to carry it. Just a thought, though.

47 WL
          51 Ls Sidecar
          03 FLHT
          http://www.gouldingsidecars.com

Comment

Indian did not make a 741 Car or design the 741 for S/C use. If you do somehow attach some sort of a car to a 741 I hope you live in a very FLAT part of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
              Indian did not make a 741 Car or design the 741 for S/C use. If you do somehow attach some sort of a car to a 741 I hope you live in a very FLAT part of the country.
              From what I had figured through searching around and like you mentioned the 741 wasn't meant to haul a sidecar ,I do agree that they or mine at least, lacks the power to pull one I want it for around town to play on.
              As for attaching one I have looked the frame over well enough that I looks solid enough for bracing ,but with the style of frame should I follow through with it I would need to fab a sub frame to help in joining the bike and sidecar together.
              Anyone know the weight of a litecar?
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Here's one in New Zealand 1941 741-B

Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Peter, that's a sharp looking sidecar rig I have a couple questions maybe you could answer,what modifications were made to the motor what year sidecar and frame?
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I've thought about this some more and I have a few examples for consideration. I have a friend that has a Nimbus with a gorgeous European 'bullet shaped' sidecar. Don't let the 4 cylinders fool you; the Nimbus is a dog when it comes to performance but his Nimbus will pull the sidehack (with passenger) but tops out at 45 mph. I think the 741 is close to a Nimbus in 'doggyness' so maybe it would be a decent 'in town' sidecar puller. I have another friend that did some mild hop-up work on a 741 and got some genuine flash out of it. I know he bored it out, did some valve work, did something with the cams, and played with the sprocket ratios. It would be worth investigating some performance mods for the 741 even if you keep it solo.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Chuck, I don't know anything about it except it is for sale for $25,000.00 Kiwi which works out to $18,016.94 USD. PM me if interested in sale details. This is not my bike and I have no interest or involvement with it. I'm just a retired guy who trolls the internet for all things Indian. My wife is a Kiwi, so I often look over that way for stuff.
                      Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                      1947 Indian Chief

Comment

There's quite a few 741's pulling sidecars here in NZ. They range from std bikes to strokers.
                        The most common mod is to fit 45 HD flywheels.
                        I'm not up with the exact details of this mod but understand it is fairly easy to do and makes a huge difference to the preformance.
                        There's guys I can talk to if you really want to know the details.
                        The chassis on the photo Pete posted looks like a Goulding chassis. We see Goulding, Dusting and Murphy chassis commonly fitted to 741 Indians over here.
                        As to connections to the frame I'd have to seek one out and see how it has been done.
                        Both Murphy and Dusting are Australian made sidecars and will be more commonly available in Aussie rather than here in NZ.
                        There is one Indian over here that has a Velorex sidecar attached and although the Velorex is a modern rig the whole outfit is very pretty. Velorex is/was made by the JAWA company.
                        For many years a local motorcycle dealer used a 741 and sidebox to pick-up and deliver customers bikes and only replaced it in the late 70's when the importer of the brand he sold threatened to take his agency away.
                        I actually have that particular chassis which is a 1920-22 Goulding but the guy I got if off had modified the mounts to fit it to a 500cc AJS.
                        Hope this ramble helps.
                        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                        A.M.C.A. # 2777
                        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I have a body that I could use for this project I have been thinking about, I just have to locate a light enough sidecar frame that is comparable to the 741 I can make the mounts if I need to from the frame to the bike
                          Chuck
                          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Hey Peter, That 741's on Trade Me. I'll be over to New Zealand in October I believe. I've got business in Christchurch, then back up to the Bombay Hills to the in-laws. I"ll ring you up and try and get down your way if the offer still stands. Did the quake hit you? The wife said it came as far up as New Plymoth where she went to boarding school. I heard it was a big one.
                            Cheers,
                            Pete
                            Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                            1947 Indian Chief

Comment

We felt it here in the lower North Island.
                              Christchurch has been hit real bad. It's just lucky no one was killed. Quite a few injuries and the property damage is in the billions.
                              Try and be in Christchurch for the 8th 9th and 10th of October for the bit Swap meet there . You'll find me on Site 629 if you can make it.
                              The offer of a bed still stands.
                              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                              A.M.C.A. # 2777
                              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                              X