Fuel Shut-Off Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSB55 View Post
    Now that it's cleaned up, I can see that what I thought was a "gouge" is actually a defect in the attachment of the tip to the rod. It goes about 1/4 around the rod, with the deepest defect about 1/8 the way around. Photos attached. Safe to run, or should it be replaced?
    That looks very much like a silver-solder repair, John!

Usually there is no gap between tip and rod:
    PTCK2.jpg

Since that's not the sealing surface, I'd just lathe-dress it anyway.

The final step is to burnish the seat by cramming it onto the finished rod a few times, while it is held firmly in the chuck.

....Cotten
    PS: I found one OEM seat that leaked beneath its brass insert. Some repops with plastic seats became highspeed fixed jets. In the early 80s, a plastic fuel filter did the same thing to me.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-31-2023, 06:57 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

[QUOTE=T. Cotten;n315143]
      Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post

How big a hammer, Jerry?

What if the tank is too bent to get the tool on?

My tooling allows the top and bottom to be moved separately, and gently.

The bottom piece started out as a tap.

...Cotten
      Cotten You must be talking about a different factory tool than what I've got. The tool I've got has no problem straightening the top and bottom separately and then aligning then. As far as hammer size - how about good judgement - isn't this always the case with a hammer. I've never seen any kind of specification relating to hammer size/stroke length/force applied. Too bent? I don't get it it. I straighten the tank first and then align the reserve holes. No since in aligning reserve holes before you straighten the tank. The only time I could not use the tool was once when the bottom hole got severely egg-shaped. I did the next best thing - I turned the tank into a 36 to 39 knucklehead tank instead of a 40 to 46.

Jerry

Comment

I'd love to have one of those OEM tools in my collection, Jerry...

Hell, I'd be excited!

But....

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Tank off. Tool Deployed. Tank reinstalled. Mission accomplished in well under an hour.
          Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Just one more question, Jerry!

Does the factory tool fit the five gallon '65 "Turnpike" tanks?

Thanks,

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-01-2023, 07:53 AM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Same shutoff rod same tool,& they do work great.If really misaligned,you do the same bend you do without the tool to get it started.The tool also helps set the depth for the rod to work.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                Just one more question, Jerry!

Does the factory tool fit the five gallon '65 "Turnpike" tanks?

Thanks,

....Cotten
                Cotten To my knowledge I have never done a 1965 tank but I would assume so because the rod is similar length. JERRY

Comment

Thanks Duffey and Jerry!

Just wondered if the fat tank got in the way of the tool; Seems like l have straightened more fat '65s than anything else.

And they were flimsy.

Probably why they ditched the whole assembly for '66...

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

We have been making PEEK tipped fuel rods for years and have sold thousands with a money back guarantee and never had one come back. The original fuel rod is a poor design with a sealing surface of steel on steel and repair by cutting lapping or whatever is not a permanent fix and will not last for the long run.
                    Carl
                    http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Olsen View Post
                      We have been making PEEK tipped fuel rods for years and have sold thousands with a money back guarantee and never had one come back. The original fuel rod is a poor design with a sealing surface of steel on steel and repair by cutting lapping or whatever is not a permanent fix and will not last for the long run.
                      Carl
                      The original seats are brass, Carl!

(I encountered one that leaked beneath the brass insert.)

Its amazing that such a poor design lasted three decades of the Golden Age of American motorcycles.

After I recut the original, I cram the seat on it with a wrench a few times to burnish it, give it the suck-test, and then its good for another three decades.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

I do not have to cram anything together when I assemble the new valves just assemble them and they pass the suck test when I turn the rod into the seat while holding the seat in my hand and turning the rod into the seat with my thumb and forefinger and will last longer than a lifetime.
                        Carl

Comment

I do not have to cram anything together when I assemble the new valves just assemble them and they pass the suck test when I turn the rod into the seat while holding the seat in my hand and turning the rod into the seat with my thumb and forefinger and will last longer than a lifetime.
                          Carl
                          I should hope not, Carl!

The torque to burnish brass would leave quite an impression on PEEK.

So, is that Flatland MC shaft one of yours?

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Our tank shutoff includes the cad plated bottom seat that screws into the tank with a stainless steel pilot for the rod and a stainless steel seat pressed into the bottom. No rust or rot ever and it includes all of the hardware on the top also. American made by people who care.
                            See our ads in the AMCA magazine.
                            Carl

Comment

I really like the ones from Carl.They don't need much finger on knob pressure for a great seal.Tested each one before installing.The only issue is more than once pulled up for dinner on hot day,shut off fuel & had to use a pair of pliers to move it after cool down of day & bike.I never had that problem with originals.Most of the time,no problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                                ....So, is that Flatland MC shaft one of yours?...
                                Our tank shutoff includes the cad plated bottom seat that screws into the tank with a stainless steel pilot for the rod and a stainless steel seat pressed into the bottom. No rust or rot ever and it includes all of the hardware on the top also. American made by people who care.
                                See our ads in the AMCA magazine.
                                Carl
                                Do you offer the separate shafts, Carl?

Thanks,

....Cotten
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X