52 LE sidecar rear connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 LE sidecar rear connection

Does the rear crash guard remain on the bike? Do we add washers to make up the space of the guard?? Or anyone got a picture? Thanks

I dont believe Harley offered rear crash bar or saddlebags until 1979, someone can correct me on this. I put factory side on my 1976 FL and eveything I found showed n0 saddlebags or crash bars but can't remeber where I looked. Believe I did use spacers when crash bars were removed .

Comment

Crashbars are common fitment all the way back on sidecar equipped bikes. The factory fit was a spacer, if no crashbar was used then spacers went on each bolt. With the proper spacers or crashbar the toe in is near perfect.

My 44UL Police with crashbars.
      DCP_1120.JPG
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        Crashbars are common fitment all the way back on sidecar equipped bikes. The factory fit was a spacer, if no crashbar was used then spacers went on each bolt. With the proper spacers or crashbar the toe in is near perfect.

My 44UL Police with crashbars.
        DCP_1120.JPG
        I can not find these spacers in the parts book. In the manual it says the read the instructions that came with the sidecar. I dont have that either, Would you or anybody happen to have this information. Thanks, Paddy

Comment

Hi, Paddy! There is a little 8 page pamphlet called "Sidecar Handbook" that details all the various connections. No mention one way or the other of the rear guard. If it would help you, I can make a copy of it and email it to you.

John
          Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

The spacer is #6655 and is part of the rear guard mounting hardware.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Ok great. I'll look for it, thanks again Paddy

Comment

Ok so I got the spacers. So next question is does the rear ball reciever go to the direction of the rear or the front of the bike?? I dont have the sidecar here to align it. Just seems that if it is to the rear you would not be able to get the axle out of the bike in the event of a flat. Thanks, Paddy

Comment

Originally posted by paddy View Post
                  Ok so I got the spacers. So next question is does the rear ball reciever go to the direction of the rear or the front of the bike?? I dont have the sidecar here to align it. Just seems that if it is to the rear you would not be able to get the axle out of the bike in the event of a flat. Thanks, Paddy
                  The ball receiver goes to the front of the bike. I don't thiink it will bolt flush if you try it to the rear. It is going to be a tight fit getting the sidecar attached with a crash guard but it will go.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                  X