65 FL Triple Tree Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSB55 View Post

And, or course, you're right as usual, Robbie. This front end has been driving me nuts. Confusing enough that HD used casting numbers that, in this case, were in some cases one digit off from the part number (DUH!???) Palmer Ed 2, p 115 describes the 60-64 setup for an adjustable fork, then in one sentence says 65-68 is the same, which I guess I glossed over, since he started a new section for 65-68.

It did not make any sense to me they would have introduced that plate for a padlock without a spot on the neck to also engage it, which, sure enough, showed up in 69.

Back to Plan A, cutting off the welded on lock plate and drilling the stem to accept the lock plunger.

As it happens, I had a lock kit sitting in my parts box, and it has the welch plug for the hole in the front of the neck, so that mystery is solved for me, as well.

Sorry to have troubled you, but glad I asked!

John
    Never be sorry! The unasked questions are the unanswered ones..
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

John, did you get your sidecar mounted, if so, how does ride?

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
        John, did you get your sidecar mounted, if so, how does ride?
        Got sidetracked on another project, so the bike is not yet fully assembled, and I'm missing the front tiebar for sidecar mounting, anyway, so it may be a while. You might know, that tiebar is the one part of the sidecar attachment that is not readily available either as decent shape OEM, NOS, or repop.
        Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

I have read all the past posts discussing the installation of the adjustable trees on a sidecar setup. No answer for mine.This post is the lasted so it seems a good place to ask.
          Under normal driving conditions I get a noticeable noise as the front end travels over very crappy roads. Raising the front end off the ground and rocking it fore and aft, It seems the noise is from the rake adjustment boss. That is to say that the bolt and special washers displayed some motion within the boss. Certainly you expect some motion but how much is the question I’d say I’m looking at no more than 1/16”. Not much but it gets your attention at those larger potholes. Has anyone looked at that motion before you put your bike on the ground?

Comment

At very high mileage, Michael,...

It can cause tracking issues and tire wear.

Its an inherent design fault, but...

My last two assemblies were easily shimmed upon the pivot bolts within the bottom tree with just pieces of recoil spring from a tape measure.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I understand what your suggesting. I might try several wraps of shim stock around the length of the bolt so that in addition to taking up the boss to bolt gap it would prevent it from working itself free. How long would that last? .Might have to think of something else. Thanks for that idea. I’ll hunt down some old springs as well.

Comment

Just had someone contact me with a fix. Round stock with an O.D of the boss. .Then using a larger dia. drill or end mill drill into that piece of round stock on end so as to leave a thickness equal to the gap. The piece after being cut would resemble a crescent moon and maintain a good deal of contact area.

Comment

I've got some tape measure spring left over if you need it, Mike!

And its perfect.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Not sure what the difference is, but there are two styles of tabs for the adjustable trees???

Comment

The advantage of raked trees on a Servi-Car: the 90 lb. meter maid can ride the bike with one hand.
                      The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                        Not sure what the difference is, but there are two styles of tabs for the adjustable trees???
                        I never realized it, Ryan!

But there is a 45710-50A, and then 45710-58, so rigids used different than swingarm machines.

Apparently.

Another mystery is how the top fork bracket changed for '65; Probably a screw hole.

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-27-2022, 03:19 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

I never realized it, Ryan!

But there is a 45710-50A, and then 45710-58, so rigids used different than swingarm machines.

Apparently.

Another mystery is how the top fork bracket changed for '65; Probably a screw hole.

....Cotten
                          I think the difference between the adj. triple trees of the rigid frame and swing arm frame is the offset of 2 degrees while set for 2 wheel riding.

The top bracket change for the 1965 is indeed a tapped hole for the larger electrical panel.

Comment

Working...
                          X