The Badger Brass MFG. Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Badger Brass MFG. Co.

My 15 year old son was just about popping out of his skin waiting for me to open the gift he had acquired for me this year. All my wife could say is " I guess your son has you figured out." I'm still grinning about it. It's probably one of the coolest gifts I've gotten. I usually get practical stuff and most people that would buy for me have no clue about old motocycles. So I'm glad that my son pays attention somewhat to his father's interests.

Who on the forum has a good understanding of Solar lights? My research on the net has pretty much only covered bicycle lamps. This particular lamp keeps coming up in bicycle categories. I decided that I'd start skimming through some of my old motorcycle magazines and found that this light is also listed for motorcycle applications. Were they used on both? Were there any differences? It has patent dates on the bottom For the U.S., England and Canada. The last of which is 1899. Are parts available? I think I only need a lense and the retainer clip. Thanks in advance for any input and I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season!

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Here's a link to an ad from 1911.........

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Ad4D...0U.S.A&f=false
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

awsome!!!!the lads got ya figured for sure man.

Comment

Cory see if you can find a NYC address. It would be cool to go and see if the buildings still there. Bob L
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Robert, the light that you have would have been used on a bicycle in all likelyhood. Most of the motorcycles had a seperate light with either an acetylene tank or a carbide generator. Solar did make some other lights bigger than what you show that had the carbide generator incorperated like yours that would be appropriate on early 1900 motor bikes. The smallest ones that normally went on a motor bike had a 4" dia. glass, though nothing is set in stone because they are all accessories. Your gift beats the heck out of a pair of socks!

Comment

Do you have somthing against a pair of socks? I always ask for thick woolies.

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
              Robert, the light that you have would have been used on a bicycle in all likelyhood. Most of the motorcycles had a seperate light with either an acetylene tank or a carbide generator. Solar did make some other lights bigger than what you show that had the carbide generator incorperated like yours that would be appropriate on early 1900 motor bikes. The smallest ones that normally went on a motor bike had a 4" dia. glass, though nothing is set in stone because they are all accessories. Your gift beats the heck out of a pair of socks!
              It's Cory's gift not mine. I could only wish someday that my offspring would put it altogether to find me a gift that fine. I didn't even get a set of socks this year but I have true beagle wuv. Bob L
              Last edited by Robert Luland; 12-27-2009, 06:58 AM.
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

CO--Listed as a Solar Bicycle Lamp, one very close to yours appears in the Oct 1, 1919 H-D accessory catalog. The listing has a breakdown of all the parts and fitments. I will be happy to scan it for you--Michael Paquette--6671

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                  Cory see if you can find a NYC address. It would be cool to go and see if the buildings still there. Bob L
                  I've looked but so far I only come up with NYC....that's a pretty broad address! I have not seen anything more detailed than that as of yet. If I do find something I'll post it.

Originally posted by gary.h View Post
                  awsome!!!!the lads got ya figured for sure man.
                  Yessir.........

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                  It does beat a pair of socks for sure but I........... like Joe always ask for woolies...

Originally posted by Paquette View Post
                  CO--Listed as a Solar Bicycle Lamp, one very close to yours appears in the Oct 1, 1919 H-D accessory catalog. The listing has a breakdown of all the parts and fitments. I will be happy to scan it for you--Michael Paquette--6671
                  Michael, when you have a spare minute and if it's no trouble I'd certainly like to see that scan! Thanks!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

What is the NYC connection?

I thought Badger Brass was Kenosha ("pike") Wis.? Says so on the lamp too....

Beautiful lamp and a very nice gift!
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======
                    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Herb, I've seen advertising that included NYC as well as Kenosha. What that means for sure I'm not certain. I'm eager to give it a light cleaning and get it fired up!

I see that Fred Lange used one on his '10.....

http://www.fredlangerestorations.com/1910_harley.html
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                        Herb, I've seen advertising that included NYC as well as Kenosha. What that means for sure I'm not certain. I'm eager to give it a light cleaning and get it fired up!

I see that Fred Lange used one on his '10.....

http://www.fredlangerestorations.com/1910_harley.html
                        I "believe" the factory was in Kenosha (Wisconsin being the "Badger State.")

Also, I think in my files from CATJ (photocopies) c1903-09 I have an article about Badger Brass, but PLEASE don't ask me to look for it! But if it turns up I'll tell you.

Wonder if Badger Brass turned into something else later on? That's also a vague memory. Not sure.
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======
                        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                          .")

Also, I think in my files from CATJ (photocopies) c1903-09 I have an article about Badger Brass, but PLEASE don't ask me to look for it! But if it turns up I'll tell you.

No worries Herb, I can imagine a search such as that could be likened to finding a sliver in the woods out back.......
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

You can look up the U.S. patent numbers here. Print them out to keep with the lamp. ...bill
                            http://www.google.com/patents
                            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Thanks for the input Bill. I couldn't find anything on my particular lamp though. I did however get sidetracked on H-D patents and found some interesting stuff!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X