1908 Harley sidecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1908 Harley sidecar

Just looking at the latest issue of the AACA and there is a picture of an 08 strap tank HD with a factory built sidecar for hauling animals around! Surely this must be the very first Harley factory built sidecar?

barry please post picture - not all of us get the aaca

aka HAWG

1914 excelsior belt drive single
    1940 indian chief military
    1965 xlch sportster
    1971 bas chopper
    1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
    1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
    1940 indian chief military
    1965 sportster xlch
    1969 sportster xlch bobber
    1971 bsa A65 chopper
    1969 harley ss350 sprint
    1960 harley topper
    1963 harley topper
    H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
    H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
    1949 harley model 125 bobber project
    1959 harley model 165
    1960 harley super 10
    1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
    EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

No kidding, if you got a minute Barry, it would be great to see that bike!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Comment

That's a pretty cool pic Barry. Have you got a copy of Herb's "At The Creation"? There's a pic of Arthur Davidson with a passenger in a sidecar. It is estimated that the machine is an '06. Pretty cool rig. Are you gettin' some of that bad weather I hear is happening out east?
          Last edited by c.o.; 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM. Reason: forgetfullness
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

1908 sidecar

Here a good picture that i find on web.
            Beautiful sidecar !!!
            Sorry we can't put big picture
            Attached Files
            http://www.harley-memories.com
            http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
            AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
              Here a good picture that i find on web.
              Beautiful sidecar !!!
              Sorry we can't put big picture
              That photo is a beauty! Wish I'd of had that one for the Creation book. It's a super nice illustration of the early pre-1910 sidecar push that died out pretty much until returning in a big way around 1915. I wonder if that photo was taken around Milwaukee?

At first I thought the bike might be a late 07, but it's got the longer fender like an 08. It's hard to make out the fork type exactly. What do you guys think?
              Last edited by HarleyCreation; 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM. Reason: Changed my mind....
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======
              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Hello
                Here information from the owner of picture :
                Am sorry that I don't have more to tell you...
                I think the Harley is a 1909 "Silent Grey Gentleman" but am not sure... I could find no information about the sidecar, as none of the Harley websites mentions a wicker sidecar. It was not uncommon at that time, for carriage makers to build specialty items, and this may have been a one of a kind.
                The picture had to be taken in 1911, when my mother (the baby) looks to have been about 7 months old.
                It was taken in Lonsdale, Rhode Island, USA where the family lived at the time, and I think that I knew the house, and remember the shed in the background... a place near where my grandparents lived when I was a child.. My mom was the first child of 5, and my aunt is the only living member at age 88... My grandfather (Tom Miller) was a machinist by trade, and was a "car" person all his life.
                The picture was found in an old trunk in upstate New York, a few years ago, by a distant relative who sent it to my Aunt.
                It's the only picture that I have of my Grandfather and Grandmother together, and I think they were both quite handsome and certainly looked proud of the Harley, don't you think?
                That's about as much as I can tell you, and most of it is not about the Harley...

Beautiful history !!!!
                http://www.harley-memories.com
                http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
                AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

That's a great story Eric! Now if you only knew where that bike was!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Here's the pic I was referring to.......

Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      Hello
                      Here information from the owner of picture :
                      Am sorry that I don't have more to tell you...
                      I think the Harley is a 1909 "Silent Grey Gentleman" but am not sure... I could find no information about the sidecar, as none of the Harley websites mentions a wicker sidecar. It was not uncommon at that time, for carriage makers to build specialty items, and this may have been a one of a kind.
                      The picture had to be taken in 1911, when my mother (the baby) looks to have been about 7 months old.
                      It was taken in Lonsdale, Rhode Island, USA where the family lived at the time, and I think that I knew the house, and remember the shed in the background... a place near where my grandparents lived when I was a child.. My mom was the first child of 5, and my aunt is the only living member at age 88... My grandfather (Tom Miller) was a machinist by trade, and was a "car" person all his life.
                      The picture was found in an old trunk in upstate New York, a few years ago, by a distant relative who sent it to my Aunt.
                      It's the only picture that I have of my Grandfather and Grandmother together, and I think they were both quite handsome and certainly looked proud of the Harley, don't you think?
                      That's about as much as I can tell you, and most of it is not about the Harley...

Beautiful history !!!!
                      Thanks for the good info.

But I think the owner of the photo is wrong about the year of the bike being 1909. From the exhaust pipe and gas tank it appears to be a 1908 model. The 1909 model got a major overhaul with visible differences of those pieces. Being a 1908 makes it the last year of the strap-tank models and thus more rare and desireable, as a bike or as a photo. Plus these early wicker sidecar photos are rather rare. Very historic and cool photo!

I like that: Silent Gray Gentleman!
                      Herbert Wagner
                      AMCA 4634
                      =======
                      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                      X