New for 1912!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
    this is interesting.from the left , emblem , merkel ,harley ,thor , armac. did this foundry really make cylinders for all these companies?
    Sure they did. Motorcycle cylinder casting was a specialty operation and not that easy. H-D had trouble getting good castings. In the very early years Arthur went to Racine more than once to help work out the problems. Bruce L. said that the SNO #1 bike in Harley's collection today has a flawed casting.

My grandfather and uncle both worked at Standard Foundry in Racine in the 1940s. But I don't know if they were still making motorcycle cylinders at that time. As a kid in Racine, I remember walking along the lakefront where they had dumped tons and tons of discarded casting sands. There were also pieces of metal and bad castings, but I don't remember seeing any of these.

On the way to my aunt's house on the North Side of Racine, we would drive right past Standard Foundry and Belle City Foundry (across the street from each other). There was always a POWERFUL stink in the air and my dad would say: "That's the foundry you smell" and my mom would say: "My dad and brother worked there." I think it's all torn down now. Part of it is an urban prison I believe.

Also, one time I was walking along the RR tracks near Racine Junction and picked up a rough forged connecting rod casting. That was right near where the Mitchell Motor Co. was located. In fact, we used to play on the old wooden loading platform from the Mitchell Co. I even went to Mitchell School, probably the only school in the world (sort of) named after a motorcycle!
    Last edited by HarleyCreation; 01-04-2009, 12:01 PM.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Glad to have you back Herb! I was hoping you'd chime in on the Milwaukee article. I'm hoping to get to Davenport this fall and if I do, Milwaukee is on my list of places to go. I tramped around Wisconsin as a kid, but my parents hated cities and I didn't get to Mecca! Thanks for your childhood recollections. Pretty cool stuff!!!

Here's The MotorCo.'s ad for this issue...... it may be a little fuzzy but I find if I look at the screen at different angles it clears up...... pretty low tech fix!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by c.o.; 01-04-2009, 01:08 PM.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

A few more ads........there is quite a few really and this was a weekly magazine!!!
        Attached Files
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

hack

Grandpa Hoffa's in there.....

Comment

Vintage advertising

Hey Cory, I am glad you like this stuff. I do as well. Please check out my website at www.motorcycle-memories.com for 375 great posters from the first third of the last century. Jerry Hooker

Comment

Great stuff Jerry!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
              X