New for 1912!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New for 1912!!!

This pre-16 forum has been a little slow as of late and I thought I would share a couple ads from my recently acquired issue of Motorcycling dated November 2, 1911. I can never get enough of this stuff and I'm amazed at the high quality of the magazine. My scans however may not be as great. I'm going to have to go the way of jurassic and get on one of those photo hosting sites. Here goes..............
    Attached Files
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Well it sorta worked.......... I really like this one........ Park your horse and buy a Thor!!
    Attached Files
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Here's a shot of H-D's newly acquired property by the tracks........ I seperated the photo and text to make it fit..............
      Attached Files
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Oh, and here's a pretty crappy scan of the new Yale......... wow color!!
        Attached Files
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

That's great stuff Cory. The ad about getting rid of the horse is interesting. I have a friend who is a horse and buggy driver/historian. She made the comment that by 1912 the horse to motor vehicle ratio was about 50/50. I didn't ask but I would guess she refered to working horses. What an uncertain time that must have been and especially worrying to older people who saw motorcycles and cars as a threat to their more gentle way of life. Henry Ford is credited with saying that he didn't know if the automobile would be a blessing or a curse to humanity. I have to say that cars and motorcycles were a blessing to all of the beasts of burden that didn't always have a kind and caring master. . . . And future motorheads like us.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

No kidding Eric, I'm sure there were a lot of scepticle and utterly disgusted folks with dim views on the new contraptions. Here's an Excelsior ad..........
            Attached Files
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

A few more..............
              Attached Files
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Here is a photo that I found on the wall at the Fry brothers Turkey Ranch Restaurant on route 15 in Pennsylvania this Indian delivery sidecar rig was used to deliver their product (turkeys) to customers in and around the area

I always make it a point to stop there for something to eat they have some good food there and stopped on my way back from Oley in 2008
                Attached Files
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Farm and fireside news

August 10 1911 ad for the new HD's getting........10 miles for a cent!

Also the ad goes on to say that this is the most durable since making them NINE years ago
                  Attached Files
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

So Chuck, whaddya figure, does he really have meat in the hack or is he hauling some of that ol' home brew?
                    Attached Files
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

LOL...Well Cory He's gotta be a Pennsylvania ridge runner so figure turkey sales by day and spirits by night.

Hey I like the Emblem ad that you just posted,the factory where they were made is still standing and is about 13 miles from me I posted some photos of it here a couple years back but I think they got lost in the switch to the new site.
                      Chuck
                      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

This was a program from a bike show that a local bike shop had years ago this photo has the factory in the background with a 1910 Emblem in the GASP.............snow back in 1991
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Chuck#1848; 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM. Reason: wrong date dummy.....
                        Chuck
                        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

this is interesting.from the left , emblem , merkel ,harley ,thor , armac. did this foundry really make cylinders for all these companies?
                          www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Chuck, I vaguely remember the Emblem discussion. I think it's pretty cool to live so close to something so historically significant. Man if that building could talk!

I was wondering the same thing about those cylinder castings Lonnie, or were they just a replacement option for people? I'm sure there were plenty of machine shops and foundries throwing their hats into the ring. Pretty interesting nonetheless..........

Here's another one, possibly different casting company in Racine? ........ and a few more pages of ads... thanks for blowing up the casting ad!
                            Attached Files
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                              Here's a shot of H-D's newly acquired property by the tracks........ I seperated the photo and text to make it fit..............
                              I haven't been around much lately. Been busy with The Big Man, pt. 2: "Motor Cycle City." Crazy wild story. What a guy, and he's all ours. Talk about scaring horses!

This is an EXCELLENT time capsule photo of the Harley Juneau Ave. plant in transition. I studied these photos in great detail years ago and they tell a wonderful story maybe we can do sometime.

I can't remember half of what I know, except that you are looking west/southwest in this photo. To the far right you can see the first two sections of the 1910-11 H-D Red Brick Factory. Next to that is the older H-D Yellow Brick Factory that dates from 1906 to 1909 and later razed for another four red brick additions. The building with the chimney is the Buchman (bedspring?) factory. In the foreground is Erdmans lumber & stone yard. The Red Brick Factory gets expanded in 1912-14 to replace the YBF and the bedspring factory right up to 37th St., about to where those lumber piles are. That's where the front office entrance is today.

I've often wondered if any of that Bar & Shield logo still exists on internal walls of the Factory today. Maybe in part it does, altho they knocked most of those tiles out.

Thanks for posting this Cory, you got me going! I love the Harley Factory story. It's as fun as the bikes. If you ever have the chance to visit Milwaukee go there and soak up the vibes. Most all of our beloved old Harleys rolled out of this plant and most of the cool and interesting old timers worked there too.

It's a true "Mecca" and feels like you are visiting a haunted house, but a good haunted house!
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======
                              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                              X