No announcement yet.

the first Harley's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something i just now noticed is the location of the oil cup,and the oiler drip tube cast into the left case. on 2221 it is cast in ,off center from the cylinder hole in the top of the case.so when mounted in the frame it would be aiming straight up to collect the oil ,and deliver it to the pully shaft, then escape down the tube out the bottom of the case. on the "comet" cases this oiler setup is in line with cylinder hole.so i presume this engine was designed to stand upright ,instead of leaning forward like the harley engine. just a guess.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• pristine

Comment

• Awesome!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• This just appeared on E-Bay, any ideas on maker
            no ID oncases apart from numbers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1910-...item23058120a9

Comment

• Greg it reminds me somewhat of a Shaw. Don't quote me on it though. It sure tain't no Harley or Indian.....
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• erie

the engine on ebay is most commomnly known as an erie,it may have been called other things such as reliance.its story is long and varied,but very interesting as glenn curtiss actually produced this engine.i have alot of info ,so i'll start another thread.
                Last edited by jurassic; 02-24-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• here's the new carb for 2221.its almost "undetectable",other than the lack of stamped numbers .

Comment

• time to reassemble this engine ,and start hunting for chassis parts

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Very nice. It is bound to be a real beauty when finished. That motor was a very lucky find.

Will it look like the palm tree California photo? If I remember it correctly, that was good documentation of a real bike.
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======
                        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Nice indeed! Thanks for the pics!!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

• Has anybody been to the museum to see this??? http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...rcycle-history
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• I visited the museum last september. I do not recall seeing this motor displayed.

Comment

• mmmm.... thanks for the reply rousseau. I was hoping that someone may have seen this buckboard and possibly gotten pictures of it. I've seen a few pics now of this thing but always from the one side. Maybe they've got it squirreled away from the public eye.....
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X