No announcement yet.

the first Harley's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess Shovel owners can pat their bikes and tell them about their great granddaddy...... A Comet motor for real? Man I thought that was just stuff of legends......
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• i'm not sure if we can really know if 1133A is a comet motor or not.if so then i think it would be that missing link between perry mack ,and the davidsons ,and harley.its a dead ringer for the harley 8 bolt ,yet it matchs not one comet picture i have yet to see.
      www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
        jerry ,here she is as after extensive renovation.which was done in sturgis.any chance at all you got some pics of when you found it? i'm a junkie for this stuff.we're slowly adding a little history to these things ,one bit at a time.
        1835 picture

Comment

• this should give you enough to ponder ,as for the next few weeks ,i'll be trading in my wrenchs for a fishing pole.and snow for a warm beach. enjoy.

Comment

this should give you enough to ponder ,as for the next few weeks ,i'll be trading in my wrenchs for a fishing pole.and snow for a warm beach. enjoy.
            Take it easy on the senioritas and margaritas!

Comment

i'm not sure if we can really know if 1133A is a comet motor or not.if so then i think it would be that missing link between perry mack ,and the davidsons ,and harley.its a dead ringer for the harley 8 bolt ,yet it matchs not one comet picture i have yet to see.
              If this early Harley "clone" doesn't match the Comet photos it might mean there were other early clones around. There were other motorcycles made in Milwaukee in this period of which we have no photos of but only names: Advance, S&S, Zupanisch (sic), and others.

S&S was Sauler & Sauler and he also worked at Harley-Davidson. Who knows what these other guys did, or attempted to do. In any case that 1133A is a very cool motor. Wonder what (if anything) the serial number means?
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======
              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Nobody willing to hazard their opinion whether these two forks are the same or different in size and construction?

http://www.atthecreation.com/fork.co...K.COMPARE.html

That 1908 motor sure is impressive. I hope Lonnie's catching lots of fish and having a good time.
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======
                The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• I managed to dig out and re-read Dick's article on Perry Mack. It does mention the Comet motorcycle and has a photo and article attached from the Wisconsin Motorist. Prior to reading it I could only recall a line drawing of a race machine. Do any of you fellows know if any complete machines still exist?
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• None that we know of Cory. Photos are extremely rare too!

Dick

Comment

• dick posted this comet pic a while back , i wish i had a clearer copy. great shot of two comets and an early harley. notice how both the comets look like different models too. the harley and comet engines do look pretty close. but the cylinder looks a little different to me.

Comment

• It's going to be cool when Dick gets his article on Comets in print. I'm curious to know more about those machines!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• these flywheels on 2221 are very large for the era,nice shape too.after much consideration the owner wants to leave the engine "as found",which i agree is the best thing for it.

Comment

• only 3 of the case studs were OEM. one had to be cut to split the cases.

Comment

• here's the "comet" cases for comparison.

Comment

• Those cases are near mirror images of each other! Glad to hear 2221 will be left as is!
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X