the first Harley's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post

Hey, how the heck did you get that cool "1905" club number????
    When I joined back in the early '70's I was given membership # 1971, and had that number ever since. A few months ago, I noticed when I received my AMCA magazine, that there was the number #1905 above the mailing address. I had renewed my membership last year a few months late. I made some phone calls because I never received the spring 2008 magazine issue, and was told that my # 1971 had been assigned to someone else, so I was then assigned # 1905. That's how it was when that person took over the membership duties, and I couldn't get my other number back.
    I disagree with that practice of assigning numbers, but was told as long as I keep paying my dues, I'll be able to keep that # 1905 number.

That's ok with me, as # 1905 has some very special significance for me.

The year 1905 was Harley-Davidson's first year of production, Model 1.
    Last edited by Earl; 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM.
    Rick Morsher, aka Earl
    AMCA #1905

Comment

I am number 3674. I would prefer 3661.
      I can't remember what my original number was back in the '70's. But as above when I let my membership expire I lost it. Is that like if you are unemployed for a while you get issued a new social security number when you go back to work?
      Last edited by Chris Haynes; 11-21-2008, 04:05 PM.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

We don't know exactly for sure when the guy-kneeling photo was taken. When I first saw it, I thought it was a c1905 photo, but then I carefully studied it and compared it to other photos in the following manner:

There are several photos from 1918 that show this same segment of the shed on skids after being moved from the Davidson family backyard on 38th & Highland and up the block to the Harley factory.

These photos from 1918 show a similar setting and background as in the guy-kneeling photo, which appears to be along the railroad tracks at the Factory. We know the RR track background from any number of other photos taken in the Factory yards.

Therefore, the guy kneeling photo had to be taken AFTER part of the shed was moved from the Davidson family backyard and over to the Harley Factory. That makes it 1918 or later and another simulation of reality and NOT the real deal.

How much later it was taken, we don't know. If it had a H-D neg. number on the front, Chris could date it for us. But if it's the same bike as the later "1904" collection bike as Earl has pointed out, then it is pre-1938 by which time it was painted black. I'm leaning closer to 1918 than 1938 because isn't there ae c1938 Enthusiast cover photo showing the shed with a picket fence and Mr. Gruenwald watering flowers???
        Herb is this the photo you were referring too? It's just a random pic, so I don't have a source or date. I'm glad to see this thread is still plugging along!!

Oh, for those that may not know the sign reads "First Home of Harley-Davidson Motor Co. 1903" ........................
        Attached Files
        Last edited by c.o.; 11-21-2008, 05:46 PM.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Hey jurassic, have you found out any more details on that six-bolt of your dad's??
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
            Herb is this the photo you were referring too? It's just a random pic, so I don't have a source or date. I'm glad to see this thread is still plugging along!!

Oh, for those that may not know the sign reads "First Home of Harley-Davidson Motor Co. 1903" ........................
            Yes, that's exactly the photo! Thanks. I was wrong about the guy's name. In "H-D Lore" Vol. 1 (by me), it names him as Oscar Greenwaller as told to me years ago by a very old guy then in his 80s (Joe Borgen) who worked in small parts assembly (riviting stuff mainly). A very nice man. Borgen said that Mr. Greenwaller in the photo was yard foreman and did guard duty too.

I think the shed by this time (c1937) was in a different location and no longer by the RR tracks. Maybe behind the south building and outside of the Exp. Dept. as that's where it ended up. This photo was on the cover of the July '37 Enthusiast and is one of my favorites. It captures something quaint and comfortable about the Factory back in the 1930s, which was their greatest moment (at least equal to 1905!)

BTW, Wm. H. Davidson told me that back then they had some old stuff in the woodshed, not actual originals, but "representative" pieces. I think he said maybe an old small lathe and/or drill press. They would let you go inside while on tour.

Let's go! We can pick up our brand-new 61 OHVs on the way out!

PS: Notice that there is no evidence of "H-D Motor Co." painted on the shed door like some early photos appear to show. A different door, or were those photos retouched by a commercial artist who added the door logo to the photo as some of us believe? Also, what was a window on the left side is now a 2nd door. I always assumed the 2nd door was meant to get motorcycles in and out of the building.
            Last edited by HarleyCreation; 11-22-2008, 01:09 PM.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl View Post
              When I joined back in the early '70's I was given membership # 1971, and had that number ever since. A few months ago, I noticed when I received my AMCA magazine, that there was the number #1905 above the mailing address. I had renewed my membership last year a few months late. I made some phone calls because I never received the spring 2008 magazine issue, and was told that my # 1971 had been assigned to someone else, so I was then assigned # 1905. That's how it was when that person took over the membership duties, and I couldn't get my other number back.
              I disagree with that practice of assigning numbers, but was told as long as I keep paying my dues, I'll be able to keep that # 1905 number.

That's ok with me, as # 1905 has some very special significance for me.

The year 1905 was Harley-Davidson's first year of production, Model 1.
              Now that's luck! Or is it a SIGN from above?

Chris's number means something too, even if it could be better for him. Mine, however, (4634) is totally useless...
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======
              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                Hey jurassic, have you found out any more details on that six-bolt of your dad's??
                hi cory,its hard to believe ,but that old harley of my dads has been apart for almost 10 years. we've had many discussions over the years as to the best way to "restore" the bike ,and haven't come to any conclusions.but it has been decided that it does need to be put back together.i spent the last 2 weeks gathering all the original parts together,cleaning and inspecting them.this is really the first time i have had a chance to actually inspect the bike in pieces ,and i gotta say,all my opinions of the bike ,and its origins, have changed drastically.i'll try and get some pics posted .
                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

thanks tommo

Comment

1951 picture

thank you tommo for sending me the pics ,i recieved them in the mail today. this is a picture taken in 1951 of the factory collection .i have cropped it to show the lobby bike{sno#1}.this is the clearest pic i have seen yet. check out the tires,they look 100 years old.also the throttle linkage is missing ,and someone stole the oil cap.and still in 1951 there is no 1906.[ tagged 1906 that is]
                    Last edited by jurassic; 11-22-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

here is a news bulletin from 1953. there's the 1906 !
                      Last edited by jurassic; 11-22-2008, 07:43 PM.

Comment

In the new Enthusiast H-D is saying that the MoCo celebrated the Golden Anniversary in 1954 by mistake. It should have been 1953. Buttheads!
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Lonnie,
                          I'll try and find the letter where the factory offered Dad a new bike of his choice if he could come up with a 1906 model for them. I think the date would be in the 1951-52 period but i'll find it and post the exact date and quotes from the letter.
                          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                          A.M.C.A. # 2777
                          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Now that's luck! Or is it a SIGN from above?

Chris's number means something too, even if it could be better for him. Mine, however, (4634) is totally useless...
                            I haven't been a member for near as long as I've been into old bikes, but I found it weird to get a higher number than folks that joined after me......... I do regret not joining sooner, this club is pretty awesome..... Earl very cool number, maybe it is fate???
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                              hi cory,its hard to believe ,but that old harley of my dads has been apart for almost 10 years. we've had many discussions over the years as to the best way to "restore" the bike ,and haven't come to any conclusions.but it has been decided that it does need to be put back together.i spent the last 2 weeks gathering all the original parts together,cleaning and inspecting them.this is really the first time i have had a chance to actually inspect the bike in pieces ,and i gotta say,all my opinions of the bike ,and its origins, have changed drastically.i'll try and get some pics posted .
                              This would make a good story in print, when it's all sorted out. I'm eager to hear what you guys decide on the resto and it's history!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                                here is a news bulletin from 1953. there's the 1906 !
                                Look at the 1905 Model.
                                Notice that the timer had been removed from the motor, and was hanging down from the top frame crosstube, just in front of the tank. You can also see that from the blowup that jurassic posted just before this picture.
                                Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                                AMCA #1905

Comment

Working...
                                X