Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
    Lonnie,
    I'll try and find the letter where the factory offered Dad a new bike of his choice if he could come up with a 1906 model for them. I think the date would be in the 1951-52 period but i'll find it and post the exact date and quotes from the letter.
    That would be great information. It might give us some insight into Harley's thinking about their collection of early bikes. Anything would help.

Why did they go to your dad for a 1906 model? Was he a collector? An old dealer with early parts? Who else did they ask? Did they spell out what a 1906 model was?

Apparantly they had this "1906" gap in the collection for many years, and then decided around the time of the 50th Anniversary to fill that gap in, which they did. But not with a correct 1906 model, rather a machine with a 8-stud c1908 motor with 1908 serial number. No doubt that was the best/closest they could find.

In fact, is there an authentic 1906 H-D in existence? I can't think of one. Lonnie, that might be something to consider.
    Last edited by HarleyCreation; 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      In the new Enthusiast H-D is saying that the MoCo celebrated the Golden Anniversary in 1954 by mistake. It should have been 1953. Buttheads!
      If they insist today that 1904-1954 is wrong, then we rightfully should expect solid original evidence showing why it is wrong and what they are claiming today is correct (namely building and selling 1905 models in 1903 & 1904).

However, everything that I have seen and examined is evidence showing that 1904-1954 is actually right: 1904 being the year that the prototype of the first real, marketable, and worthy-of-the-name Harley was put on the road.

As I said previously, 1903 was an important year, but let's not accept made-up stories and models of bikes that never existed when celebrating that year. Let's celebrate what REALLY happened in 1903 and not fairy tales. Let's keep it honest.

Edit: This morning I was emailed a copy of the Enthusiast article. I'll be posting it soon, probably in a new thread.
      Last edited by HarleyCreation; 11-25-2008, 11:39 AM.
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
        Earl very cool number, maybe it is fate???
        Earl deserves it. He has done a lot of good dedicated HONEST work.

If it was Fate, notice that Fate gave him Harley's REAL first year of production 1905, and not an earlier fib date year.
        Last edited by HarleyCreation; 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======

Comment

happy thanksgivin' yall

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Now that's one cool pic!!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Jurrasic

Any Idea where and when that picture was taken?

Fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                Jurrasic

Any Idea where and when that picture was taken?

Fantastic.
                john, i got a copy of this picture from a friend of mine in kansas city. tim thoele. the original picture shows the entire house too. i just cropped it to show the family.this pic is also in herbs book ,and it says that the rider is "pathfinder dan" and that it was taken in kansas.what year is the bike though?

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                  john, i got a copy of this picture from a friend of mine in kansas city. tim thoele. the original picture shows the entire house too. i just cropped it to show the family.this pic is also in herbs book ,and it says that the rider is "pathfinder dan" and that it was taken in kansas.what year is the bike though?
                  Is it a six or eight stud motor?

That and the bike's color should tell the tale....
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======

Comment

it kinda looks like a six bolt to me,but the timer is pointing forward,whereas the six bolt timers usually point to the rear.but then again the lettering on the cases looks very large like the six bolts.
                    Last edited by jurassic; 12-03-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

old carb

i believe this is off of a dodge brothers car,but can anyone confirm that or give me a year

Comment

it kinda looks like a six bolt to me,but the timer is pointing forward,whereas the six bolt timers usually point to the rear.but then again the lettering on the cases looks very large like the six bolts.
                        I could be wrong, but my eyes seem to see a six-bolt..........
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Has anyone posted this pic yet? The fellas name has slipped my mind, maybe you know Herb? If not I'll do some diggin'.........
                          Attached Files
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

The star of David.

Comment

A little blurry, but it looks like six bolt to me also. That would make it a 1905 or 1906 model motor. Can't be sure because of blurry picture and the guy's feet are hiding some details.

Timers can be changed, as evidenced by the one on your Dad's Florida green machine.

Colors can also be changed. Is that grey paint wearing off, and revealing a black underneath?

Rigid black front fork. Did they run out of grey paint, or is it a replacement for a broken springer front end?

Aside from the color is the frame. Look at the pedal crank hanger. Notice how the frame tubes intersect the pedal crank hanger in the center, but there is a slight angle between the tubes in front of the hanger with the tubes behind the hanger. Definitely not a 1907 model frame.
                              Last edited by Earl; 12-04-2008, 05:44 AM.
                              Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                              AMCA #1905

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                                Has anyone posted this pic yet? The fellas name has slipped my mind, maybe you know Herb? If not I'll do some diggin'.........
                                I was going to say no, but the setting looked familiar and Milwaukee like. Kind of the same background of Walter with the winning 1908 machine.

Look on p.138 of "At the Creation" and tell me if this photo wasn't taken at the same place! Then look at p.130 and look at the middle guy (Henry Roberts) who rode with Walter D. in the 1000+5 N.Y. Endurance Run. Isn't this the same guy????

Kind of looks like you found another photo taken the same day, same place, to publicize the winning bike (if that's really it).
                                Herbert Wagner
                                AMCA 4634
                                =======

Comment

Working...
                                X