No announcement yet.

popes O.H.V.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you mentioned a single being in that frame. I couldn't find a single twin that style, but then again I'm sure I don't have near the pictures that were taken of Maldwyn on Merkels! I think it's kind of cool that Milby let folks ride it. I'm sure it sparked a bug in more than a few folks. Here's a couple shots......... Maldwyn is on a '10 Merkel single with a '12 30.50 in it. The other is of a couple singles after a wreck in Sandusky, Ohio. The scan is again, kinda crappy, but can you make out that buckled front rim?
    Attached Files
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

i like that pic with the 2 singles .haven't seen that one. this is the only pic i could find of the U model replica . its a tiny little thing.
      www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Very cool machine. John did a nice job on that one. Here's a shot of Maldwyn and another rider after the crash in Sandusky......
        Attached Files
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Maldwyn Jones

Here is a picture of Maldwyn Jones at the 1913 motorcycle races in Toronto, Ontario. He came second in the 3 mile professional class on his Merkel. He came first in the 10 mile professional class on his Excelsior. He came second in the 15 mile professional class. It is not a clear picture if the Merkel. (The system will not accept my picture so I will have a friend post it for me). Tom Wilcock AMCA # 381

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
            Here is a picture of Maldwyn Jones at the 1913 motorcycle races in Toronto, Ontario. He came second in the 3 mile professional class on his Merkel. He came first in the 10 mile professional class on his Excelsior. He came second in the 15 mile professional class. It is not a clear picture if the Merkel. (The system will not accept my picture so I will have a friend post it for me). Tom Wilcock AMCA # 381
            Tom was having difficulty posting the scan. Here it is ... Perry
            Attached Files

Comment

heres a picture of one of my first patina jobs,maldwyns 1910 merkel racer.amatuer attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                Interesting pic, did it come from a newspaper or early magazine? It kind of has me thinking about looking further in to early racing history here north of the border.....
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Hey jurassic, was that machine in the museum in Sturgis? It seems to me that when I was there in '07 there were a few bikes on display that had this similar finish. I haven't developed the pictures yet to see if there was a Merkel on display....... I'm glad now that the Mrs. got me a digital!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Back to the original subject; I found this Pope link & info with some pictures which might be of interest. I know nothing about Popes so I don't know if what the writer says is accurate but page has some nice pictures etc...

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/search/label/pope
                    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                    Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
                    www.beautyofspeed.com
                    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                      Hey jurassic, was that machine in the museum in Sturgis? It seems to me that when I was there in '07 there were a few bikes on display that had this similar finish. I haven't developed the pictures yet to see if there was a Merkel on display....... I'm glad now that the Mrs. got me a digital!
                      hey cory ,yes that merkel single is in the sturgis museum.good thing you checked it out,that museum has some nice pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                        hey cory ,yes that merkel single is in the sturgis museum.good thing you checked it out,that museum has some nice pieces.
                        I thought that bike looked familiar....... Yes that museum is worth a stop. When I drove by Competition the door was propped open, so I thought I'd take my chances and see if anyone was around. You guys had already headed for Davenport, but a fella was nice enough to give me a little tour and man was I impressed!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Eric MATHIEU View Post
                          Back to the original subject; I found this Pope link & info with some pictures which might be of interest. I know nothing about Popes so I don't know if what the writer says is accurate but page has some nice pictures etc...

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/search/label/pope
                          Pretty interesting stuff Eric.......
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Here is another over-head valve v-twin motor that is very similar to the Pope motor. I don't know of any in existence. Does anybody know where we can find one? This is a
                            1915 Saginaw cyclecar motor made by the Valley Boat & Engine Company of Saginaw,
                            Mi. Belt driven and they claim 50 mph and 50 mpg. They claim you don't even need a garage to house it. "Run it up on your porch if you like".

Dick
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a pile of Saginaw motors.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Now that's a mighty stack of motors. I've been digging, but haven't found much info yet. There were actually a whole slew of cyclecar manufacturers in the U.S. I've found out boat info for the Valley Boat and Engine Company, but it pre-dates cyclecar production. Interesting stuff Dick!
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X