Another Schebler carb ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Schebler carb ID

I have another Schebler carb marked DLX-4…any clues as to what it fits (apologies if it’s not pre 1916 and probably from the 20’s but I don’t know where else I should put this post). Bunch of pictures follow…

6C0E77E1-4B1C-45BB-AD65-BE16DBA09C81.jpeg43B0BD9F-6F28-4CD6-B96C-C401DB0D6285.jpeg

7A1FC0E6-9524-4490-9ACC-EED527602C9E.jpegE4E7BDC4-7EFD-4DAC-9E7C-CB23B19D19E0.jpeg

FB0798A8-45BE-4F49-BCFC-9A686EE6C219.jpeg

Another beauty, Joe!

My listings call it for the 61" Chief, probably for a few years.

Somewhere your father stashed all the airhorns.

....Cotten
    PS: The horseshoe float is probably correct.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Who knows what this is, Folks?

Most Type As have no such bump, or whatever is screwed into it.
      DLX4 2.jpg

DLX4 3.jpg

I have encountered one DLX14 with a similar casting, but nothing machined into it.

A clue may be this unique airhorn...
      dlx4side.jpg

dlx4horn.jpg

dlx.4.jpg
      Stamped DLX4, but no bump!

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-23-2023, 11:53 AM.
      AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten,

It’s a spring loaded pin, I can push it in and it pops out…I don’t know how a cover would attach…

Another mystery. My father was collecting this stuff since the 60’s, he never had bikes this early except a 23 Chief project he’s been gathering parts for 20 years for that one. I remember going to meets in the seventies and my father would buy a whole box of carbs, these early ones just happened to be in there.

Comment

...that cover appears to work as a choke, and could be attached via two screws where the choke shaft could've been, and if all that speculation is anywhere near reality then the spring loaded pin could work as a detent to the rotating air baffle. That's all I got.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

We appreciate your father's legacy, Joe!

I found another pic of the curious bump, and I believe this one remained frozen because it had nothing to do.
            TYPABUMP.jpg
            Did I miss any air passage behind it?

Type A DLXs had airhorns with separate choke assemblies, held to the body by two tapered-head screws, and there was a variety:

(DLX12)
            dlx12.JPG
            (Weird DEX17 stamp in the wrong place..)
            DEX17stp.jpg

(DLX10 snoot; Note thumbtab is indexed from twelve o'clock to three o'clock by the screwhole next to it..)
            DLX10HRN.jpg

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-23-2023, 05:37 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Schebler 1925 manual supplement 001.jpgSchebler booklet 001.jpgSchebler booklet 2 001.jpg Here is a supplement page from my 1925 Schebler service station manual. It has some carbs that are not listed in the 1928 edition.
              also is a copy of a Schebler sales booklet showing the airhorn with the choke disc.
              Tom

Comment

Working...
              X