No announcement yet.

Is this a 1914 Excelsior 7C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I hate Facebook, there is an Excelsior Henderson Facebook page. May be worth joining and asking for help there too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1446426292279469

Comment

Going along the AMCA Library suggestion above there is also the AMCA archive of back issues likely to be an Excelsior or two in there. Good Luck.

Comment

Get the pillory ready, Folks,...

But that machine is far too honest to cover up with a 2023 paint job.

You people think everyone could read and write?

So much for the AMCA saving antique motorcycles' heritage; What ever happened to 'get it running and ride it'?... .. .

....Cotten

PS: Hard to believe I'm the only one who appreciates it.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          Get the pillory ready, Folks,...

But that machine is far too honest to cover up with a 2023 paint job.
          ....tank rusts out and needs to be restored or replaced, whatdya do Cotten? To which standard do you aim for, the "honest" one or the original one?
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post

....tank rusts out and needs to be restored or replaced, whatdya do Cotten? To which standard do you aim for, the "honest" one or the original one?

The Excelsor doesn't look rusted out in the pics, Harry,..

(But if they are dip'd'n'strip'd or even blasted, all bets are off!)

Everybody has their own vision of what a century-old machine should look like. But if it looks better than new, how honest can it ever be?

Its' paint job is humble, but brutally honest, and that's charming; Put in a line of perfect restos, which gets the attention?

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-21-2022, 09:25 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten, If one is to restore a machine, don't restore it better than new, restore it TO new condition. Not every restoration is over restored.

Unfortunately, I believe all this bluster is for naught though. I'm afraid the original poster GUTS is gone! He has been put off by too many critics when he simply asked for help! My only regret is I didn't see the post and reply early on.

We need to be mindful of new members asking for help. Help them out rather than confuse or offend them!

Comment

Originally posted by gharper View Post
                Cotten, If one is to restore a machine, don't restore it better than new, restore it TO new condition. Not every restoration is over restored.

Unfortunately, I believe all this bluster is for naught though. I'm afraid the original poster GUTS is gone! He has been put off by too many critics when he simply asked for help! My only regret is I didn't see the post and reply early on.

We need to be mindful of new members asking for help. Help them out rather than confuse or offend them!
                You mean, Gene,...

GUTS couldn't stomach it?

If he cannot tolerate my sincerity, think of the melt-down when AMCA-judged!

I can see now he should be begged to return.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

I have to say that I agree (in large part) with Tom. I think guts had some success with modern bike restoration and his ego made him come here to tell the antique people how this hobby should be done. Like anything of historical interest, old bikes are a multi-layered universe of unknowns, and contradictions. Many of us have had this addiction for years and still get humbled by what we don't know. I'm all for helping every new member who loves this stuff, and wants to learn, but not arrogant neophytes.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    I have to say that I agree (in large part) with Tom. I think guts had some success with modern bike restoration and his ego made him come here to tell the antique people how this hobby should be done. Like anything of historical interest, old bikes are a multi-layered universe of unknowns, and contradictions. Many of us have had this addiction for years and still get humbled by what we don't know. I'm all for helping every new member who loves this stuff, and wants to learn, but not arrogant neophytes.
                    I don't know GUTS, Folks...

So I won't judge the man.

I advocated, to all, for saving the one-and-only Excelsor.

Make-it-run-and-ride-it, and then worry what everyone else says.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

I have a 1913 rider and could have shared some information with GUTS. The good news is that he did share photos which are valuable and also show another early motor serial number. From my untrained eye I suspect that motor was put to use as a utility motor at one point. Note the "L" brackets on the bottom which appear to be for mounting to a flat surface. The pulley mounted adjacent to the engine sprocket is interesting and is what makes me think it might have been pulled out of the chassis for another task.

IMG_0898.JPG

Erik Bahl
                      Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63
                      1915 Harley Davidson 11F Twin

Comment

Working...
                      X