Is this a 1914 Excelsior 7C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a 1914 Excelsior 7C?

A friend of mine bought this recently and asked me if I would restore it. I've restored 26 bikes in the last 8 years and 23 of them were for this same friend but they were almost all Japanese. I am completely unfamiliar with these early American twins. I think it's a model 7C. This bike is very solid although missing a few parts. The older re-paint has helped to preserve the metal. The only problem I see is there is a repair on the neck and the gussets are no longer there. Is there someone who can repair this so it looks correct? there is an old repair on the left case also. If it's sound I think I can have it milled flat so it's not so obvious. I will be asking lots of questions about finishes and such if you fellows(and gals)don't mind. Is there a place that reproduces the tank decals? Here are some pictures of what I have. Thanks! The headlight came with the box of parts. I think it's correct for the bike but I don't think it was on the bike. It's in very nice shape.

More pictures.

Comment

A few more.

Comment

About there.

Comment

Done.

Comment

Nice looking project...you have your work cut out for you. You would think that someone going to all the trouble to paint would spell Excelsior correctly on the tank! I'm sure you'll find plenty of help here on the best antique bike forum there is. Good Luck........Smitty

Comment

That's funny Smitty! All they had to do was look on the cases. Go figure'
              DrSprocket

Comment

Just me, Folks,...

But I think its priceless!

Looking forward to close-ups of the Schebler, GUTS,

Thanks...

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I did notice the intake is on backwards, is there a reason we know for this?

Comment

Originally posted by HDSmitty View Post
                    Nice looking project...you have your work cut out for you. You would think that someone going to all the trouble to paint would spell Excelsior correctly on the tank! I'm sure you'll find plenty of help here on the best antique bike forum there is. Good Luck........Smitty

Almost as hilarious as a segment on an old 'Speedvision' episode. Some guy really liked the 1941 Big tank Crocker that the show spotlighted. I believe his quotation was..."I sure do likes that 'CROAK-ER' you all had on display". The 'Speedvision' executives & Staff must have gotten a kick out of it and didn't edit it out.
                    53scr_12_d590e32e050fe38.jpg

53scr_10_c4ae70dbb2f918f.jpg

*Beautiful project 'GUTS'~Good Luck.

*M.A.D.*
                    Last edited by JoJo357; 11-16-2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GUTS View Post
                      I did notice the intake is on backwards, is there a reason we know for this?
                      I don't know, GUTS,..

But the carb bowl seems reversed as well.

A list of screw-on models (sorry I forgot who to credit) shows the HX16 for '13 and '14 twins, with 1 3/64"-20tpi left-hand manifold threads.

It would not surprise me if its not stamped...

...Cotten
                      PS: I hung a keihin off the wrong side of my Pan stroker once. Honest.
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-16-2022, 06:31 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

I will take some close ups of the carb for you after supper(I'm hungry). I know this will be a challenge but I think with the help I will get here I'm up to it. Just kind of a "show my credentials" type thing, but my friend Leroy scored a perfect 100% at the AMCA national show in St. Paul a few years ago with a 1975 Kawasaki S1C 250 that I restored. I mentioned that as an example of what I want my restorations to be when I'm done. I'm very fussy about it.

Comment

*M.A.D.*
                          http://www.geocities.ws/pravgeusau/schebler.htm *Schebler 'H' Model information.

53scr_9_3fc383c8dff0f62.jpg
                          Last edited by JoJo357; 11-16-2022, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GUTS View Post
                            I will take some close ups of the carb for you after supper(I'm hungry). I know this will be a challenge but I think with the help I will get here I'm up to it. Just kind of a "show my credentials" type thing, but my friend Leroy scored a perfect 100% at the AMCA national show in St. Paul a few years ago with a 1975 Kawasaki S1C 250 that I restored. I mentioned that as an example of what I want my restorations to be when I'm done. I'm very fussy about it.
                            You intend to restore it, GUTS?

What a waste.

Please, at least don't destroy the carb's nickle...

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

You intend to restore it, GUTS?

What a waste.

Please, at least don't destroy the carb's nickle...

....Cotten
                              It says that in the very first line of my post. Wow, to you it may be a waste, to the man that owns it it's a tired motorcycle that needs to be new again and he is the one that bought it. I agree with him. I don't really appreciate being told not to start destroying things because I plan to restore them. I paid good money and came here for technical advice, not to be scolded. If your going to be rude at least do it diplomatically. The carb is in rough shape, I don't believe there is any nickel left.
                              Last edited by GUTS; 11-16-2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X