American Excelsior book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Excelsior book

May be that is of interest. A new American Excelsior book will be published with 448 pages in May/June in very limited numbers. This is the first english book after 110 years since the first excelsior was made
    For more Information see www.American-x.org
    Last edited by American X; 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM.

Please post a reminder when this book is available. I am very much looking forward to getting a copy when it becomes a real book. . . . Had to post a picture.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Order

[QUOTE=exeric;155165]Please post a reminder when this book is available. I am very much looking forward to getting a copy when it becomes a real book. . . . Had to post a picture.

Hello Eric
      You can preorder the book. http://www.american-x.org/
      The book will be available around end of May. Look on the website.
      We do only a small run, as the interest in prewar machines is slowing down. No young people!
      regards Thomas (AMCA 3565)
      Last edited by American X; 04-12-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

The book is printed now. Delivery is confirmed for May 18th. I have to store it.... So its available from May 19th. Thank you for the pre orders!
        I go the the AMCA meet in Raalte and bring books.
        In case you are visiting Germany and have the chance to visit some of our Board Track event, we will meet. The next event is in Nürnberg (not far from Munic) We are at the velodrome Reichelsdorfer Keller build 1903. The first motorcycle races started at this velodrome 1904. There is a discussion that it will be demolished! So we will support the cycle club there. We have around 20 starters. For more informations refer to www.American-x.org
        regards from Germany
        Last edited by American X; 05-05-2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

The first books are shipped out. Also Harley ordered a copy...
          The first US customers should have it this or next week. For more informations see the AMCA European newsletter and www.American-x.org
          There is no reseller in the US.
          Last edited by American X; 06-01-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Dear All, I bought a copy of the Excelsior book at our Raalte International Meet in Holland last weekend. I'll be reviewing it for the AMCA magazine, but can already recommend it to Excelsior/Henderson owners and anyone interested in the history of American motorcycles. OK it's 149 euros and weighs 8 pounds to mail, but there are only 400 copies printed so get in there now.

Comment

Received my copy of the American Excelsior book last week. WOW!!!! What a treat! Of course it will take me years to read and understand it all, plus with my recent shoulder surgery, I have a tough time holding it up to read, as Steve said, it weighs all of 8 pounds! Never the less, I've been enjoying it from my desk top.

Thomas Bund and Robert Turek have done an incredible job of putting this book together! I've been studying Brand X for 25 years now and have not come close to their level of study. It is without a doubt the best books on antique motorcycles I have in my collection. It covers the Excelsior story from Schwinn's early bicycle days in Europe to the end of the Chicago brand and beyond, to the modern X made in Minnesota. I'm very impressed with not only their research, but the amount of original literature they have collected and included in the book for reference. The quality of the not only the content, but also the printing and binding is outstanding! The book is LOADED with very high resolution images that are great to look at and study. Also quite a few tid bits that I was not aware of.

To many the price seems a bit steep, but it goes right along with my belief that the only people that bitch about the cost of a reproduction part for their old motorcycle (or a book in this case) are the ones that have never reproduced a single part (or book) and have no idea what goes into it.

So, if you're truly interested in the history of Brand X, there is no finer book available. In fact, the only other one available that I know of is Thomas' first book American X, which I thought was outstanding, only problem is my German is not good enough to understand much of the text!

Best get on the order list, this is a limited printing..

Gene Harper

Comment

Great review Gene. You have always been one of my Excelsior mentors so your assessment of the work of Thomas Bund, and Robert Turek means a lot. I have a copy of the book on it's way, so I'm waiting on tenterhooks I fully agree with you about the cost of limited reproduction parts, and also as it applies to a book. This book had to be a true labor of love because the research, and collection of knowledge cannot be priced, or recouped financially. No doubt, I'll reply to this thread after I receive my copy.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by gharper View Post
                  To many the price seems a bit steep
                  ... but the euro to dollar exchange rate is close to being the best it has been in many years, this book would have cost $20 to $50 more just a few years ago... so that helps!
                  Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I'm not sure if my order was processed. It gives an error message but no explanation?
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the very good feedback. Indeed it was a labor of love. This book was only possible in self publishing. The costs and time for a high quality book with this format and amount of pages are very high. ( you can compare it withe restoration of a motorcycle) At the end Bob and I l provided a book with the complete story. In the meantime we have orders from around the world. The last ones were from Australia and Japan...
                      I did also the first book on on Board Track racing (Murderdrome) which is also worth to look at. It has nearly the same size of the American Excelsior book.

Hello Robbie: The website was updated. I checked it. Everything is working fine.
                      If you ordered the book via our website you will get an confirmation on your mail. The invoice is send later. May be you did not fill in the form correctly. Do not forget to tick the boxes. Please try again
                      regards www.American-x.org
                      Last edited by American X; 06-12-2016, 04:52 AM.

Comment

We had several questions regarding the amount of books. We have less than 250 books left. That`s it
                        www.American-x.org

Comment

I have to say I am greatly impressed by this book and the amount of effort put into it. Great Job! Now I just need more time to peruse it.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Glad to say I received my VERY well packed copy today. The book looks of excellent quality and should provide me with plenty of reading to take me through the upcoming long winter nights. Thanks for the excellent quality and look forward to reading it. It's all your fault Eric for teasing me with the German copy.
                            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

We have bad news. We tried to make things easier for the U.S. friends. The shipping to Bob Turek to the U.S. was lost. I was also astonished that this could happen by a shipping company. This was a big amount for a limited print of 400!
                              So we have less for sale. This is an bad impact.
                              www.American-x.org
                              Last edited by American X; 09-07-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X