paint code for 1914 grey fellow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cory,
    You are 1 fine craftsman your self...wish I had 1% of the talent I see on this site...wow....nice log house too! thanks for getting my pic's on here for some to see...Hey matt have you seen my cylinders? LOL....Dave

Comment

Dave! I think you have me confused with Slojo! I can rip a bike down and put it back together but Joe has got more skills on a finger or two than I've got in total!!! I'm slowly learning though. If I make it to 150 years old, I just might catch up...
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by amsracing View Post
        Dupont paint code for the 1914 Harley is DBC35582 it cost me less than 90.00 a quart at my local paint store....
        I had a half pint whipped up of your paint code. It's off and not even close! Too much of a blue hue compared to original paint grey, as most restorations have.

Comment

Well, Back to square 1. I have a 1916 tank that has original grey paint on the back and it still has some gloss. I guess it's off to the paint shop for a custom mix. I've not been 100% satisfied with paint matches as I am told the final match has to be done by the human eye. Apparently, computer matching only gets them in the ball park.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

If you get good results Eric, please let us know!!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

thanks for the info..just shot some my self with clear on it. didn't look rite until the clear was added...back to the paint shop in the AM to check it out for sure..seems to match the fender Matt sent me from AMW to copy...will get back to you later....thanks,Dave .......all help is good help...never turn down any help...

Comment

Question: if harley painted all there bikes grey at this time for around 10 years was it always the same exact color of grey? every day, every week ,and every year? wondering about this anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by amsracing View Post
                  question: If harley painted all there bikes grey at this time for around 10 years was it always the same exact color of grey? Every day, every week ,and every year? Wondering about this anyway..
                  no
                  just like when 2 paint machines half way across the usa mix up a color it will look different. If you like your color use it.
                  rob ronky #10507
                  www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                    no
                    just like when 2 paint machines half way across the usa mix up a color it will look different.
                    I disagree here. With the same formula, they should be dead-on unless someone makes a mistake in measuring. That could happen in the same shop too, but with accurate measuring and the same formula, with the base pigments that come from DuPont being the same, they would be very close. As for clear coating bikes that were never clear coated, I think there should be a hefty penalty if it were ever to be judged, IMO.

Comment

I just returned from my paint shop...we scanned the fender from Matt 1 more time and came up with slightly lighter shade (a little more white and yellow was added...when we painted it to see...it was lighter than my original blend which was said to be on the light side already...? Paint shop owner and I talked a while and he explained that the clear sold in Arizona by Dupont is not the same as sold in Cal. or other sates, because of EPA regulations and also that Dupont makes many different types of compatible clears them selfs ...he said to much clear and you turn yellow...I am using the exact brand of Dupont Paints, primmer, and clear and hardeners that Color rite was offering to sell me thru the Official HD Web site..but was told by the owner that even tho we are using exact same mixture #'s that colors can and will vary....you know I like my shade of Grey...I guess were lucky this bike didn't come in 3 different colors...we could never get it Rite! Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X