paint code for 1914 grey fellow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint code for 1914 grey fellow?

can anyone supply me with a correct color of gray for the 1914 harley.twin?
    stripes are dark navy blue out lined in red with a Gold center stripe I think....
    frame pinstiping is also done in navy not black or red...
    Renault Gray is what I have been told is the correct color...but went to my pro paint shop...they don't have a example...
    any help is appreciated....will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to....sorry for the delay..thanks,Dave Boydstun

I'll be following this with interest Dave. Finding the right color of Renault Gray can be as subjective as the right color of Indian Red. Everyone thinks their's is right.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
      I'll be following this with interest Dave. Finding the right color of Renault Gray can be as subjective as the right color of Indian Red. Everyone thinks their's is right.
      I'm going to be paying attention as well. I just might need that color one day....
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Does anyone have a piece of FACTORY literature that shows dark Navy blue (or any shade of blue) as a striping color fro pre-early 1917 HD's. My parts books list DARK GRAY as a striping color for Gray machines.
        Never seen that and want to see the documentation.
        Mark Masa
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

1914: Light grey with DARK GREY stripes, not blue. Someone published that blue stripes were used, and dumbsheet authors keep copying that without doing their homework. I have seen flat tank harley's with the dark grey stripes many times, on original paint bikes, but NEVER blue. I guess I really can't say they didn't use blue, but I haven't seen any orig paint bikes, nor documentation from HD. Drop me an email and I can send some pictures.
          Last edited by silentgreyfello; 06-29-2012, 12:02 AM.

Comment

My position EXACTLY!
            My understanding is that Gray and Black paint pigment colors are either Blue based or Brown based and that as they age and fade, a Brown based dark gray will look dark brown and that a blue based dark gray will look dark blue. Just because someone put dark blue striping paint on a restoration done in the 1960's doesn't mean that it's correct.
            Mark Masa
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

ok.....does anyone have an answer to the original question?....thanks Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Rod K View Post
                ok.....does anyone have an answer to the original question?....thanks Rod
                Yes. It is not an off-the-shelf code that you walk into a paint shop and order. I bought several pieces that were orig paint that I had a code made from. Any paint shop can do the same if you have an original chip to go off of.

Comment

well it took me a while but,maybe I can now help some one else out, like someone helped me..Dupont paint code for the 1914 Harley is DBC35582 it cost me less than 90.00 a quart at my local paint store.....checking with THE Harley Davidson color match expert he wanted 217.00 a quart! and also quoted me $10,000.00 to paint it for me....wow what a nice guy.(I must sound rich on the phone)...my 1st major REAL old motorcycle project....here's some advice for what it's worth...and you should always shop around before you buy....

Comment

It's good to hear you got the "shade" you were looking for. I've jotted that paint code down. Thank-you. Wow.... I've heard that paint jobs have gone up but 10 G's for something that's not a lot bigger than a bicycle seems outrageous!!! You are probably on to something with the "sounding rich on the phone" theory....
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by amsracing View Post
                      well it took me a while but,maybe I can now help some one else out, like someone helped me..Dupont paint code for the 1914 Harley is DBC35582 it cost me less than 90.00 a quart at my local paint store.....checking with THE Harley Davidson color match expert he wanted 217.00 a quart! and also quoted me $10,000.00 to paint it for me....wow what a nice guy.(I must sound rich on the phone)...my 1st major REAL old motorcycle project....here's some advice for what it's worth...and you should always shop around before you buy....
                      That is excellent advice. Thanks for your generosity in posting the paint code; that's what being in the AMCA is all about.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by amsracing View Post
                        ...checking with THE Harley Davidson color match expert he quoted me $10,000.00 to paint it for me.....
                        you need to clean you keyboard the zero has stuck and it's placing to many in you post
                        rob ronky #10507
                        www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Any wonder why younger people don't get involved.
                          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

And I am 58 years young at that...with the help of many AMCA members this bike is nearing complete mach up stage in about 7 months total..AMW ,Comp Acces. Zeek,Chris Border,a ruth- less nickel plater..Fritz custom fab shop....I wouldn't had a clue....after reading the post by Slojo and checking out his multitude of pictures on his 1914 Cannonball bike build (thank you so much for that) I have never seen a 1914 twin in person yet...so with your close-ups my job was made much easier...thank you so much...can't figure out posting of pic's on this site but you can see my progess @www.amsracing.com click on Dave's New Baby...check it out if you like....just waiting for my seat bar,oil lines,and my cyclinders back from plating/bore jobs etc...I had my eye on a marsh metz single.but that one got a way..I am looking for my next one allready....... FYI and no my 0 button wasn't stuck.....this wasn't a goverment funded project...a lot of Vintage MX bikes gave there lives for this baby...I do have a few more to sell any one into VMX Racing? Dave

Comment

Great stuff Dave!!! Inspiring for sure! http://amsracing.com/harley1914
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X