No announcement yet.

strap tank harley pops up at Oley!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about high rez but I'll see what I can do...
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Here's a left hand shot of a '10.

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Holy crap is right.

What Lonnie said. I'm sitting here eating a crow pie right now. I looked at a bunch of New Era ads and pictures. They were all 1910-12. I think Excelsior bought them out in '10. However, the 1909 ad that Cory posted sure looks like a strap motor!!!! And this thing that showed up at Oley, though the frame is homemade, that is what they were trying to copy! VERY INTERESTING!

Comment

Now let's look for any published differences between the two motors.
          What's the bore and stroke of an early Harley single?
          And of an early New Era motor?
          If those dimensions are different, then Dale can measure the motor he found to see what he's got.
          Last edited by Earl; 05-04-2012, 11:17 PM.
          Rick Morsher, aka Earl
          AMCA #1905

Comment

on fleeze bay now

other info I found ( have 3rd photo ad but cant post due to size issues )

the R.F.D. News, magazine of the National Rural Letter Carriers' Association,
            advertised motorcycles whose names are still remembered such as Indian and Harley Davidson, and
            others long forgotten, such as Erie, Armac, Excelsior, Thor, Torpedo, and Thiem. The June 1909 RFD
            News ran an advertisement for the New Era Auto-Cycle, made by the New Era Gas Engine Company of
            Dayton, Ohio – a vehicle well ahead of its time. Unlike other motorcycles of the day, it did not need to be
            pedaled to start. Instead, it started like a car –
            with a hand crank – and then kept running without
            needing to be pedaled

and from other source ( casterville ohio historical society dated feb 2000)

Several years ago, Nevin Elliott found an old motor in a farm trash pile. With research he discovered it was a 1902 bicycle engine made by the New Era Gas Engine Company of Dayton, Ohio. The company manufactured the New Era Auto-Cycle, invented by Mr. E.L. LeFevre and intended to "overcome all of the objectionable features that have heretofore existed in motor-cycles." Based on the descriptions and illustrations of the Auto-Cycle found in a 1909 brochure, Mr. Elliott recreated the motor-cycle from bicycle parts, plumbers pipe, and other salvaged materials. Last month he donated his auto-cycle to our collection where it now sits in the 1900-1916 room of the new exhibit.
            As for the Centerville connection: E.L. "Roy" LeFevre, inventor of the Auto-Cycle, lived on Normandy Lane in the early 1900s. He was a well-known amateur and professional bicycle racer as well as an inventor. He also road tested cars for Stoddard Automobile. The CWTHS files contain a photograph of Roy and his wife Bess, as well as several photographs of him with various automobiles.
            Last edited by aka HAWG; 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM.
            1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
            1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
            1940 indian chief military
            1965 sportster xlch
            1969 sportster xlch bobber
            1971 bsa A65 chopper
            1969 harley ss350 sprint
            1960 harley topper
            1963 harley topper
            H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
            H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
            1949 harley model 125 bobber project
            1959 harley model 165
            1960 harley super 10
            1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
            EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
              I think Excelsior bought them out in '10. However, the 1909 ad that Cory posted sure looks like a strap motor!!!! And this thing that showed up at Oley, though the frame is homemade, that is what they were trying to copy! VERY INTERESTING!

As far as I know, Excelsior didn't buy them. In 1910, Excelsior was having trouble keeping up with
              orders and was running into financial problems.

Bob Turek

Comment

While it is apparent that harley did either sell engines to New Era in 1909, or sell their engine patterns. There is one major difference between engines that lean forward like the harley, and engines that stand upright like the New Era. That would be the oil cup and passage that goes to and comes from the pulley shaft bushing. If you notice on this picture of a strap tank motor the oil cup and passage move from north to south behind the cylinder hole, if the engine sits in the frame leaning forward. In an upright motor the passage would be in a different position.North to south directly inline with the cylinder hole.

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

This picture clearly shows that the oil passage on 1823 does not run north to south when the engine is standing upright.

Comment

This catalog picture of a 1911 New Era shows that even as late as 1911 New Era was still using the out dated harley strap tank engine. But you can also see that the main shaft oil passage is running north to south inline with the cylinder. This would be different from the harley engine.

Last edited by jurassic; 05-06-2012, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Forgive me guys, I'm way outta my league here.
                      I realize its most likely a homebuilt, but is there any possibility that this might be a rough New Era prototype? I just wonder if the company might cob pipes together quickly before tube bending to figure frame geometry. Its an amazing find regardless.
                      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobdo View Post
                        Forgive me guys, I'm way outta my league here.
                        I realize its most likely a homebuilt, but is there any possibility that this might be a rough New Era prototype? I just wonder if the company might cob pipes together quickly before tube bending to figure frame geometry. Its an amazing find regardless.
                        I'm going to go out on a limb here and say No. I don't think that there is ANY chance that is what we are looking at here.
                        Mark
                        Mark Masa
                        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                          This catalog picture of a 1911 New Era shows that even as late as 1911 New Era was still using the out dated harley strap tank engine. But you can also see that the main shaft oil passage is running north to south inline with the cylinder. This would be different from the harley engine.

The timer and left case on this motor looks different than the strap tank motor. It is much wider.

Comment

I may have a photo that will help you out. It is a 8 x 10 of what looks like a trade show, the back is marked with the date Mar. 15-11 Los Angles with the names L. Miller and Ford Everett. The photo is of a New Era display with a rt. side view of a bike and a left side view of another taken more from the front. The frame is more refined in my photo than the catalog photo. I am not sure how to post it , but I could scan it and e mail it to some one to post.
                            Thanks Jim D
                            Jim D

Comment

Originally posted by jim d View Post
                              I may have a photo that will help you out. It is a 8 x 10 of what looks like a trade show, the back is marked with the date Mar. 15-11 Los Angles with the names L. Miller and Ford Everett. The photo is of a New Era display with a rt. side view of a bike and a left side view of another taken more from the front. The frame is more refined in my photo than the catalog photo. I am not sure how to post it , but I could scan it and e mail it to some one to post.
                              Thanks Jim D

Go to www.photobucket.com and open a free account. Upload your photo there. Then cut the IMG Code for you picture and paste it here.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by aka HAWG View Post

(snip)

and from other source ( casterville ohio historical society dated feb 2000)

Several years ago, Nevin Elliott found an old motor in a farm trash pile. With research he discovered it was a 1902 bicycle engine made by the New Era Gas Engine Company of Dayton, Ohio. The company manufactured the New Era Auto-Cycle, invented by Mr. E.L. LeFevre and intended to "overcome all of the objectionable features that have heretofore existed in motor-cycles." Based on the descriptions and illustrations of the Auto-Cycle found in a 1909 brochure, Mr. Elliott recreated the motor-cycle from bicycle parts, plumbers pipe, and other salvaged materials. Last month he donated his auto-cycle to our collection where it now sits in the 1900-1916 room of the new exhibit.
                                Good grief! Except for the 1902-dated motor, that sounds a lot like the photos of this cob-job with 8-stud motor, doesn't it?

Did Mr. Elliot's recreation "made several years ago" somehow escape from the 1900-1916 room at the Casterville Historical Society?

There is an uncanny similarity to the general form and outline of this thing to the New Era chassis. I wonder if the vintage of the frame parts can be ascertained? If so, one might be able to determine how old the frame parts are. A modern re-creation or something older?

Sure looks a lot like an H-D 8-stud motor. Lonnie should be able to determine that in five minutes if he can get a look at the internal guts of this motor. Parts should be similar to the other 1908's that he has inspected. Is that a fair statement?

I have some 1909 New Era material around here somewhere that I will try to dig out. My notecard does state that the 1909 New Era engine was 3-1/8" x 3-1/2" bore and stroke--the exact same as a 1908 Harley-Davidson engine. But are there any other similarities or differences listed?

Good to see Earl around here again. Welcome back!
                                Herbert Wagner
                                AMCA 4634
                                =======
                                The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                                X