strap tank harley pops up at Oley!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
    It doesn't seem logical that the factory would start their VIN numbers with 1800, but lets say they did. That means that from VIN number 1800 to the lastest known 8 bolt VIN number, which is 2278, about 478 machines were produced for 1907 and 1908 combined. Does that sound right?
    I don't know what the logical number for vin numbers would be, but this we know. Harley claimed 150 machines for 1907, 450 for 1908 for a totoal of 600 in the two years. I don't think they would have made more than this and not published the number. I would tend to lean that they either produced that amount, but probably less. 600 right on the money? I think that is a conveniant number for publishing.

Let's assume their numbers of 600 are correct with no gap between 1907 and 1908. With the lowest (1823) and highest(2278) numbers that are known to exist, the lowest possible vin would be 1678 (if 2278 was last straptank), or the highest possible vin would be 2423 (if 1823 was first 1907). None of those number spreads include a conveniant number to start with, say 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      No problem Rob. I guess you and Lucy get a pass in the photo department.
      don't know how but the lovely lucy got photos for you guys
      Attached Files
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

plus she rotated them for us
        Attached Files
        rob ronky #10507

Comment

Look at that. Photos without even showing up! Awesome!!! You'll have to thank her for us Rob. Man, that's quite the homemade frame!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Yes thanks Rob and Lucy!..........now.. Cory, what do you figure they used for pipe thread sealant on that frame?

Look at that. Photos without even showing up! Awesome!!! You'll have to thank her for us Rob. Man, that's quite the homemade frame!
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
              Yes thanks Rob and Lucy!..........now.. Cory, what do you figure they used for pipe thread sealant on that frame?
              Ha! Is it just me or does it look like it's tack welded together?????
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Ha! Is it just me or does it look like it's tack welded together?????
                6011 or 7018?? Intresting in the ideas that people come up with when it comes to motorcycles pipe fittings who would have thought pretty creative in a way
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

They used unions to complete the circle because they didn't have a LH/RH coupler. I have run a lot of black iron pipe in the last 8 years, but never thought I would see a strap tank harley nestled in between the stuff. I'll never look at a 3/4" T the same anymore. And check out the belt tensioner... foot activated. Way ahead of Harley here! I gotta hand it to the guy. He was resourceful. The bicycle portion (front and rear) looks to be elgin, and the middle section is schedule 40 black iron.

Last edited by silentgreyfello; 05-03-2012, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I can't say from looking at the pictures exactly what we have here. I wasn't able to get to Oley this year, so haven't seen this in person.

But I remember seeing an early New Era motorcycle at a museum, and it really made me do a double take, as it looked like an early Harley motor. So I invite everybody to Google "New Era motorcycle" and investigate. I'll look for those museum pictures that I took.
                    Last edited by Earl; 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM.
                    Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                    AMCA #1905

Comment

Originally posted by Earl View Post

But I remember seeing an early New Era motorcycle at a museum, and it really made me do a double take, as it looked like an early Harley motor. So I invite everybody to Google "New Era motorcycle" and investigate. I'll look for those museum pictures that I took.
                      i think that harley sold this motor to NEW ERA. then new era ground off the name harley or harley ground it off
                      rob ronky #10507

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                        i think that harley sold this motor to NEW ERA. then new era ground off the name harley or harley ground it off
                        Your kidding, right? Their chassis isn't even close, and especially with pipe fittings for castings. The motor in the New Era clamped to the frame like a strap motor, but the left side case and timer were completely different. And their cylinder was different as well. I don't believe I have seen a New Era where the motor was a Harley with the letters shaved off.
                        Last edited by silentgreyfello; 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                          Your kidding, right? Their chassis isn't even close, and especially with pipe fittings for castings. The motor in the New Era clamped to the frame like a strap motor, but the left side case and timer were completely different. And their cylinder was different as well. I don't believe I have seen a New Era where the motor was a Harley with the letters shaved off.
                          i never said anything about the chassis. i said i think harley sold the motor to new era!
                          rob ronky #10507

Comment

I think they started making these things in 1909, this is a 12 model. Its big like the harley motor, but lots of differences. Maybe the earlier models had different engines.

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

I'm thinking Earl and Rob may be on to something....

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Holy Crap! Can you send me a high rez copy of that ad?
                                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Working...
                                X