1913 Thor Model 13-W ... HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1913 Thor Model 13-W ... HELP PLEASE!

I am trying to get this old girl back on the road but need the linkage for operating the eclipse clutch. Anybody have pictures or parts? Any info would be appreciated! Besides that, I am going to put new control cables and tires on her and leave it be. Hopefully have it running soon!

DSC05823.jpgDSC05824.jpgDSC05831.JPGDSC05828.JPG

I found this picture on the web of a twin, and some of an ad. I am guessing that this is the linkage that I need, but don't know for sure. Also, check out the headlight... I think it was designed for the Titanic!

models_ad.jpgimages.jpgmodels.jpgtwin.jpg
    Last edited by silentgreyfello; 04-02-2012, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I know I've got some Thor info here somewhere. I'll see if I can dig something up tomorrow night. Cool bike by the way! Leaving as is sounds perfect!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I don't know if these pics will be of any help. This was Dave Leitner's Thor.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Yes, those are excellent! Especially the first one. I can see the handle for the clutch! While that bike is the earlier style, it is good info to have. Thanks Eric! Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Well... I did some digging and found a bit of Thor stuff but nothing for 1913 yet. All of the photos so far are of the wrong side!!! I'll keep up the hunt. Eric the photos you posted are awesome!!!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

I didn't come up with anything in the home library so I hit the internet. After a fair bit of searching it brought me to the CLUB LIBRARY!!! The 1913 pamplet is there and after a download it appears to have a shot of what you need to know.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Looking at this a little closer, I think the eclipse clutch should be what is similar to the white twin below, but not with the gate above. There isn't a place to mount the lever like on Leitner's bike. There is a pivot point on my bike just above the eclipse that I think the lever pivots on and then just stands supported on the pivot bracket. I really need to see some pics now, or a parts book!

Last edited by silentgreyfello; 04-04-2012, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Found this old photo of a bike that I tried to buy years ago. Don't have a picture of other side, but I suspect the clutch linkage is similar to Leitner's. This one is a belt drive, though. I think this is 1911. Small timing cover, open magneto, early style fork, small toolbox. In 1912 (I think) they went to the big timing gear cover, similar to my bike. If there is a Thor expert, or even slightly educated, jump in! I am WAY out on a limb here, and I can hear cracking.
                      Last edited by silentgreyfello; 04-04-2012, 02:15 AM.

Comment

It definitely looks close. Did you see my last post?
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Progress this evening: Removed the rock hard tires. I have a set of white buttons from Coker that will work. Took the muffler off, as the tin can portion has a huge rust hole in it. The end caps and guts are fine, so should be a relatively easy fix. It is 3-1/2" diameter, and just happened to have the right diam pipe in the shed. Straightened the rear stand. Pumped a bunch of Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinder, etc, etc.

Still need to mount the tires, replace the control cable/wires, replace one spiral, soften the seat, replace the fuel and oil lines (cracks), and check out the magneto. I am contemplating opening up the motor to have a look, but it has good compression. Still, I think it would be wise to see inside. I just talked myself into it, but that will wait for now. I am on a mission to figure out the clutch mechanism. Going to make the drive south to Mathew Smith's at Antique Cycle Works in Oregon tomorrow. He is a wealth of information, and has lots of old and new parts, as well as literature and photos.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                            It definitely looks close. Did you see my last post?
                            Excellent! I hadn't thought of looking there!!! I went there a long time ago and tried to get in, and I couldn't. Forgot completely about the library! Thanks. Yes, looks like the white bike has the correct setup.

Comment

In my search for Thor stuff, ran across this bike. Single tank, twin motor?!! No toolbox door! It says "A show-quality restoration was just completed in May, 2010. "Best Motorcycle" honors was awarded at the 2010 Newport Concourse d'Eleganse. Absolutely stunning!" Wonder who the judges were? Car guys I guess.

Here is a link if you want to buy it! http://www.classiccars.ws/sales/1912thoru7/index.html

And here is a picture:
                              Last edited by silentgreyfello; 04-04-2012, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X