Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEWGARINC View Post
    Really who else is building frames??
    Border and Smith. Also a guy from Europe.

Comment

Thats crazy, there just isn't enough of a market out there for 3 frame builders. Even towards the end of jimmy's run the frames weren't selling that great. The motors are drying up, and lets face it the repop frames have driven the value of the bikes down, while driving the price of the originals up. Of course the crappy economy might have something to do with that too.
      www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Yes, it is crazy. But when the price gets above 3k for a frame, people start thinking they can do it themselves. I guess it would make sense if you did pattern work yourself if you have the ability, but to hire out to have patterns made for the castings, you better plan on selling a bunch of frames to make it pay. If I were to tool up for something, it would be knucklehead and panhead stuff... that is where the growth is going to be, IMO. Most of the pre-16 motors are now motorcycles, and like Lonnie said, loose motors are drying up.

Comment

Frames will soon be available through a new source with the same old tooling. Dewy now has Jimmy's frame equipment. Dewy and I struck a deal on the frame rail tools that I made during the Gray Ghost/Cannonball build, he will be up to speed within a year hopefully.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
            he will be up to speed within a year hopefully.

Joe
            Say it aint so, Joe! A year?!!!!!!!!!!! I need a frame yesterday!

Comment

Just as a clarification. I am not building frames for production run. Just repair and one off type things. I am specializing in sheet metal, tank and such work. I also do case and fin repair. I wish Dewey all the best with the frames. There needs to be a good supplier out there.

Comment

Working...
              X