my 1914 HD twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 1914 HD twin

just got a HD 1914 twin and will be needing expert advice to restore this bike to it's former self looking for sheet metal, tanks,frame and fork... have motor w/carb and electric's and 23" wheels I think maybe a 10 e or f..I will.need help also have a 26 JD project...it will be next in line....thanks,Dave Boydstun Mesa Az. who should I be asking for help....?

Dave:

There are lots of good resources here and a lot of knowledge of 'where to go' and 'who to call.'

The first thing that I would recommend is that you spend some time coming up with a 'restoration plan.' It may not survive past the first few weeks. But write down what components you plan to address first. Frame then forks then wheels then engine then transmission, etc. Put it into words and a plan. Also, not everyone can do everything themselves. So figure out the things you will have to vend out and get those in the cue, figure out the schedules (and costs) so that things can come together at a logical end point. Doesn't have to be a Gant chart... but some thoughts help. Last, figure out your budget or expected costs. Then double them. That's a pretty good rule of thumb ;-)

How about starting with some pictures! We would love to see the project as it gets off the ground.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Hey Dave welcome to site there's a couple of guys who make just about everything for your bike one of them is competition dist located in sturgis South Dakota another one is antique cycle supply I think there in Oregon and Mark Masa @ Link cycles he's in Ohio these guys should be able to help you out with just about everything you will need good luck on the build

Comment

thanks I will put up pics when bike arrives in Az.about a week from now....everyone has been very helpful.....I have restored over 200 vintage motocross bikes and a 56 BSA gold star scrambler I raced for 3 years in VMX comp. as well as 2 TT special's 65 and 66 Triumph's and 65 Bonneville as well a few Nortons ...but when I was racing the Gold Star both the bike and me weren't 100 years old...so restoring this 1914 is going to be a real challenge for me but with the help of you guys I will do as good of job as I can..I have done 22 complete restorations in 1 year before but this one will probably be completed when the bike is actually 100 years old! so I give my self almost 2 years to get this rite!

FYI now the motor is in a RUSTY JD frame so it's not much to look at...oh yea I just found a complete JD motor locally so that's probably the next project..... I don't get ahead of my self! nice be a part of this group...thanks for being here to educate us younger old bike lovers... sincerely David Boydstun

Comment

Good luck on the project. I may be able to steer you on some of the parts, and have some extras myself. One thing I noticed from your orig post is that you do not need 23" rims, you need 22" rims. In 1914, they ran a 28 x 3 tire (22" rim), not the 28 x 2-1/2 (23" rim).

1913 is the oddball year, as they ran a 28 x 2-3/4, and the tires are not available. If somebody has some, let me know. I need some for my 13 twin.

Comment

jimmy from competition is moving to denmark ,so pre15 harley frames aren't available anymore. i think there might be a few forks left ,but they wont be available either.
            www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
              jimmy from competition is moving to denmark ,so pre15 harley frames aren't available anymore. i think there might be a few forks left ,but they wont be available either.
              Say it aint so! That stinks!

Comment

Jimmy is making me both the frame and gas tanks and I'm hoping to get the fork from Lonny after vegas auctions..sure lucky I found him before he's overseas.....I have 2 clincher rims I thought they were 23" my self I will have to check them out and see ...the rear one is on the JD chassis that has the 14 motor and the other came with the package is the same size rim also. I will be needing the fenders w/brackets and the pedal starting cause it has a 3 speed gear box now with a kick lever rigged on it.. any help on these parts is very welcome thanks,Dave

Comment

That sucks! I need a 1910 HD single frame. What now?
                  Mark Masa
                  www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark, I may have an extra '10 frame. I was going to use it with a project but have an original that I am dickering on. It was made by Competition. Their stuff is excellent.

Comment

just look how this site works! Great....

Comment

Silentgreyfello
                        I sent you a PM.
                        Mark Masa
                        Mark Masa
                        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                          Say it aint so! That stinks!
                          Jimmy sold out to Dewey so the frames will continue, and the selection will grow!!!www.earlyharley.com

Comment

Originally posted by DEWGARINC View Post
                            Jimmy sold out to Dewey so the frames will continue, and the selection will grow!!!www.earlyharley.com
                            What's his experience building frames? What are the costs going to be? I know there are two others popping up to build frames as well to fill the vacuum. I just hope someone can continue with the quality that Jimmy had.

Comment

Really who else is building frames??

Comment

Working...
                              X