Brake drum identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake drum identification

Hi. A few years ago I recieved a brake drum that came in a box of Harley parts.
    It is not Harley, but I would like to try and identify the origins of the old part.
    In my initial enquiries to british fans I was told it may have been early Norton but have drawn a blank on any further identification. Can anyone identify the drum from the attached pictures. It is 18 spoke. 125 mm diameter X 25mm brake width.
    I receieved the following advise from a one local British motorcycle shop:
    The use of a needle roller bearing inside make me think it is European rather than British
    Thanks.
    Steve.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Steve,
    Where's the picture?
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hi. I have tried to load the pictures 4 times but it wont do it for some reason. I will get the young bloke who works for me to have a go.
      Regards Steve
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

I sent you a pm Steve.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Looks like a Harley lightweight drum. Hummers used needle bearings like that in the hubs. And they use 36 spoke wheels.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Here's some hub pics that came from e-bay....

Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Cory,
                The one you posted has a speedo gear on it. The true "Hummer" had a speedo optional and used a needle bearing hub for several years. The first year '55 hummer did not even have a front brake or provision for one! The earlier and later models other than the Hummer hubs all came with the speedo gear on and most were ball bearing both sides. I can provide parts book illustrations if needed for the needle type.
                Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Close but no cigar eh Robbie?? Thanks for the clarification. I'll likely know what I'm looking at now if I see one on a swapmeet table.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                  X