Motor ID help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor ID help needed

Anyone know what this might be? Thanks. IMG_0531.jpgIMG_0530.jpgIMG_0529.jpgIMG_0528.jpg25f084f62f7c0a2ce73f9fcf8ede8a1f.jpg
    Bob Rice #6738

Looking at the 3rd picture down, the motor mount was intended to mount to a tube, like a motorcycle frame tube(?) I've not seen cylinder base mounts rotated at 45 degrees like this engine. That is very distinctive and should make this engine unique, and identifiable. . . . Good noodle scratcher, Bob.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I have one more picture that shows another similar mount on the bottom. Where would the carb mount and the spark plug go? This was found in a field in OH.IMG_20220.jpg
      Last edited by BigLakeBob; 01-21-2023, 05:56 PM.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

My guess would be a circa 1905, 1906, 1907 REX motor
        It would have had a surface carburettor system if I've got the i.d. correct.
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks Tommo. Looking in one of my motorcycle encyclopedia books I find a picture of an early Rex but the engine looks different. Looking on the internet of that vintage it is hard to get a good engine view, most I see have REX on the cases. Anyone have any pictures that could help, especially the 45* turned cylinder studs. Thanks.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob, the valve sitting on top of the Motor Reads..' Acorn Brass Mfg. Co'., Chicago. That was a legitimate outfit utill bankruptcy in 1914. The 'mYsTeRy Motor' appears to look more like a turn of the century Puegeot? Puegeot commissioned the motor out to De Dion. It's close, but no cigar. I'd say from that Acorn Co. Brass Valve, that it is American made. Weird that there is no casting stamping anywhere? I did some 2-3 hour research, this is a tough bugger.

fullsizeoutput_2407.jpeg

*M.A.D.*
            Last edited by JoJo357; 01-22-2023, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks JoJo for your time, I guess the search goes on. It's not in my possession so I can't access more info or pics. Doesn't matter, but found on a farm in SW OH late last year. The configuration of the fuel inlet https://www.yesterdays.nl/product/pe...02-zedel-2603/ going over the valve tower and the plug out the side is close. Peugeot-1902-2603-2.jpg
              Last edited by BigLakeBob; 01-22-2023, 04:51 PM.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I was thinking maybe motor buckboard but nothing so far matches.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

My scanner has gone on strike so sorry no pictures but I have had a look as best I can with the onset of detached retinas and have come up with a couple of possibles.
                  Stephen Wright's book "The American Motorcycle" Volume 1 has on page 176 a Greyhound Ad that has a motor that looks very similar.
                  The second maybe is on page 39 and although similar this Pierce designed Patee has ribs on the crankcase that sort of counts it out.
                  Did Pierce design other motors that may fit the bill and did Thomas Auto Bi Company the fore runner of Greyhound build any motors that fit the bill.
                  Those with better sight than me have a look and see what you think and maybe put up some photos for consideration.
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

I don't have that book, if anyone does, could you post a picture of the ad on page 176? Thanks.
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

As my scanner is still not working I have taken a photo of the Greyhound ad as it appears in Stephen Wright's book.
                      Its the best I can do at present so please don't shoot the messenger as it hasn't photographed as good as I hoped. DSCF4476.JPG
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Thanks again Tommo for your time. In this pic is the hole above the exhaust for a carb (fuel) inlet or spark plug.
                        IMG_0529(1).jpg

Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Is that a detachable cylinder head? And, are those four long "headbolts", or cylinder mounting rods (or serving both purposes) distinctive features?
                          Last edited by pisten-bully; 01-26-2023, 05:47 PM.
                          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

My take is that would be the spark plug hole and as I presume it has an atmospheric inlet valve and quite possibly a surface carb system the inlet tract would be connected via the top of the atmospheric valve somehow.
                            I really need some photos of the inlet and exhaust valve systems to make a better judgement of how things work.
                            I would think that the 1911 Greyhound would be too late to be automatic inlet and in my opinion atmospheric inlet valves and surface carbs would have been gone by about 1907-08 at the latest.
                            Some thoughts by some other users of the forum might be helpful.
                            A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

I'll see if I can get some more pics, the owner is being very discrete. Thanks for everyones' time so far.
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                              X