No announcement yet.

Excelsior frozen in time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Comment

Filled the cylinders with a mix of kerosene and 2-stroke oil. After a while it came loose without using force…
        Before loosening I checked the inside of the cylinders with a camera. There was no rust.
        Next step is to fill pure oil into cylinders and turn it.
        Spark cables are not in a good shape. Will have to change them. Do not know if it will be needed to remove the magneto to get access.
        I do understand that my knowledge here is low. Have seen the 1921 maintanance book at the AMF library( got a tip about it here) Do anyone know if there is any detailed information about the engine somewhere?

Regards
        Stein.S
        Last edited by Stein.S; 05-21-2024, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Do anyone know how this tower is supposed to be opened?
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Be very careful!! The pick up is Bakelite and will easily shatter or break. It looks like you pulled the brush and spring out of the tapered end of the pick up . Now look into the hole - you should see a small slotted set screw. Back the screw out a few turns, and it should release the spark plug wire. Put all of those little parts in a plastic bag or a jar - they are impossible to replace.
            A. Bernhardt
            AMCA# 9726

Comment

Thank you for answering.
              It seems like the set screw had the slot melted away.
              I bought new towers for Bosch magneto. Good to know that this ones is not possible to buy. Will have to be extra careful then.
              think first step will be to try removing the cable piece by piece. If I can get it out, maybe lubricate and try to drill a small hole in top of the setscrew and see if a torque bit might get hold enough for getting the screw out.
              Edit: None of the two cables was attached under the set screws. One was glued to the bakelite and the other one was loose. The set screws missing slot have been a problem before….many years ago…
              its a too big risk to drill in the set screws, so think best solution is to use a bit of glue and maybe use spings from a ballpoint pen between the set screws and the cables.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Stein.S; 05-24-2024, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Magneto. After a clean up the magneto gives sparks. The bearing at the sprocket side is in a very bad condition. The inner ring is also stuck, and there will be a need for a new bearing. Do anyone know the type of bearing? Would like to order one but its difficult to measure without getting the inner ring off the axle.

The timing. It is possible, because of the damaged bearing, that the timing was off because sprocket slipped. There is two markings at the sprocket for magneto. The only information I have is from the handbook for 1921 model. From the AMCA library (Found that one after a tip in this forum thread) However, the one in the handbook shows a sprocket with one mark only. Because cylinders is attached to the engine, it is a bit difficult to measure distance before top dead center. Managed to find tdc for both cylinders by using camera. The timing as it was seems to be a bit early? Do anyone have a picture with markings that show the timing for this motor? With the Berling magneto and two markings at the sprocket?

Best regards, Stein-S
                Last edited by Stein.S; 08-25-2024, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X