No announcement yet.

Save Our Judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the passing of another Member of this Club isn't it about time for us to stop and think about some issues. A few years back in the magazine a profile of the members ages was published. I hope someone can post a link to it somehow for everyone to look at again. Better yet maybe another Census should be taken and we all should look at it and think about the whole situation. If I remeber correctly there were not many members below the age of Forty? In 20 to 25 years what will this clubs membership consit of? I know here in New England with the passing in the last few years of Jay, George, Paul, Rick, Dave and Carrol I see quite a few less faces at out local meets. There are probably a few more faces gone I cannot think of at this time. Have any of those members been replaced with any younger ones? Personally I don't see it here? Anyone who is a book of knowledge and has spent a lifetime helping others trying to build something for the future does not need to be discarded like the days trash. It is hard enough to find anyone young today who has any interest in old Motorcycles. Then go and try to find someone who has the interest, time and ability to educate themselves to a level of someone like Robin Markey. Somebody really dropped the ball and isn't thinking. Too Bad.

Comment

The facts are that the old American-made motorcycles are now priced beyond the reach of someone wanting to get into antique motorcycles, unless of course Daddy is loaded. Even the Brit and Japanese bikes do not seem to be followed by a young crowd. Granted, there exceptions to any rule. But in reality, who can afford a knucklehead in todays market?

The question is what happens to our old bikes? I predict that a majority of the exceptional examples will end up in museums, here and abroad. There will remain riders floating at a basic price. For those who just want to ride American, I predict the trend will be Evos - a very reliable machine which does not require much in the way of maintenance and there are many low mileage examples remaining, enough to meet demand for many years.

As an example, look at shovelheads. With the availability of Evos the price is dropping and has been for several years. Even a slab shovel, unless it is very nice, has trouble breaking $10K, in spite of what you see folks asking for them on Ebay - look at the completed listings!

At some point the bottom of the market will be found, I would guess in 20 - 25 years when us baby boomers all drop dead. We are the group that created this demand here in the US. Look at the demographics of Corvettes and even the new Harleys - baby boomers are the big market and when we quit buying when we retire since our funds are then constrained, there goes it all!
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

"almost unknown Peter Heinz, who did the most to modernize the system "

Yeah the same Peter Heinz who judged a bike that was not even at the meet.
        Let us not forget.

Comment

Working...
        X