No announcement yet.

1965 Pan Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks couldn't remember if yours was original or repainted, etc. Did they bump you for the chrome on the exhaust or the mufflers? Or is your exhaust painted, can't really tell from the pics too well.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Comment

The pipes down from the heads are mostly blue, the rest does not look as good in person as in the pictures. Especially out in the sun, you can really see the battery acid damage and even after you polish them up they dont look like the chrome you see now. These were all on the bike when I first saw it, thats all I know. I am going to try and focus on finding out more about the fourteen years the orginal owner had it.
      John Underwood
      AMCA#14400
      Central Illinois

Comment

Oh, wait never mind - I don't think you would be docked for chrome pipes/exhaust on a 65 FLH unless it was a restoration. So, sounds like they didn't take off any points for the mufflers either then.
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

SomeEarly 65s did have the side cover in chrome and it was NOT ribbed mine with 1500 original had this one and after much research found thats the way it should be the ribbed one was 66.

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT View Post
            SomeEarly 65s did have the side cover in chrome and it was NOT ribbed mine with 1500 original had this one and after much research found thats the way it should be the ribbed one was 66.
            There is no chrome timing gear cover listed on the 1965 Order Blank. It in not in the Accessory Catalogue either. It is not mentioned in the 1965 Sales Brochure. What research did you find that said "thats the way it should be"
            The 1965-1969 models all shared the same smooth timing gear cover.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Slow down Chris, take a deep breath. I beleive he's talking about the battery cover, not the timing gear cover.

Comment

i thought the 65 was 1 year only because of the over head oiler banjo bolt?

Comment

1965 had a cover on top of the battery but no cover on the sides. Just a big black battery hangin' out. The -65 part number battery cover did not appear untill the fall of 1965 and the 1966 models were in production then. Motorcycle Goodies made a smooth aftermarket chrome cover that was used on a lot of 1965 models.
                  Last edited by Chris Haynes; 09-09-2009, 06:54 AM.
                  Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                    1965 had a cover on top of the battery but no cover on the sides. Just a big black battery hangin' out. The -65 part number battery cover did not appear untill the fall of 1965 and the 1966 models were in production then. Motorcycle Goodies made a smooth aftermarket chrome cover that was used on a lot of 1965 models.
                    Chris,
                    I noticed when I took my ribbed cover off and just had the top cover on the battery, there was about 1/8" clearance on each side at the cover and also at the battery box. I measured another big battery I had and it was the same size as this one. Do you think the orginal batteries were slightly larger at the top and bottom. In the picture it kind of looks like the center area where the logo is might be slightly smaller.
                    John Underwood
                    AMCA#14400
                    Central Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by Underdoggie View Post
                      Chris,
                      I noticed when I took my ribbed cover off and just had the top cover on the battery, there was about 1/8" clearance on each side at the cover and also at the battery box. I measured another big battery I had and it was the same size as this one. Do you think the orginal batteries were slightly larger at the top and bottom. In the picture it kind of looks like the center area where the logo is might be slightly smaller.
                      That is just the way the top covers were made.
                      Be sure to visit;

Comment

Chris thats funny mine cover camre rapped in a paperbag material sealed from the factory with a sticky HD orange and white paper !

Comment

Hi All...

I have to weigh in on Chris' side of the fence on this one. The ribbed cover, while widely accepted and seen on 1965 Pans, did not come out until late 65. That said, the judges will likely accept this cover because it can be classified as an accessory and, therefore, not judgeable. That doesn't make it correct, just acceptable to have or have not.

I read the thread from a ways back about the member who was dinged for not having the cover or the M/C cover. This is simply an incorrect call by the judge. Fortunately, 1/4 point does not make or break a machine.

It is possible to get a deduction for not having a kick spring cover if the bike is outfitted with the King of the Highway package. This cover was part of the option and, while an accessory per se, I always make a note, at least, to let the owner know of the omission.

Stay upright.
                          George and Kyle Marakas
                          K & G Cycles

Comment

Working...
                          X