1965 Pan Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Pan Questions

1. As Mr. Palmer's book is considered as a reference - up to a point, is the information in Fields' panhead book also considered this way? I am not talking about the photo's and editorial type data but the technical/reference info in his Panhead Book.

2. "Proper Battery Cover" I have seen a few posts elsewhere that say judges will bump you if you have the -65 ribbed battery. My understanding through King of the Highway group info in fields book (which my bike has) is that the ribbed battery cover was part of that group. If I have KOH original on my bike (yes proper primary cover with inspection plug) will I be gigged on the battery cover?

I'd like to get my '65 judged at some point this year when completed and start the whole process. My purpose is not about getting to some magic point number but feedback on accuracy. I have done a lot of research on '65 before even touching this bike for restoration. I also plan to run it not show it but the judging process should be of some value in terms of proper or accurate representation of '65 FLH with KOHG options.

Any good HD judges specific to '65 Pans I can talk to? These are a strange beast to say the least.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

The fact is that there was no side cover on a 1964 battery. Although the ribbed cover carries a -65 part number it wasn't introduced until late in the year. Its first appearance was in the Fall 1965 Accessory catalogue which is actually during 1966 model production.
    Here is a factory photo of a 1965.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris. I have all those pictures that show the top cover only. I also have reference that says that the ribbed battery cover was part of the King of the Highway group in 1965.

That's from Fields Panhead Book reference data as it refers to the details of what was in cluded in the King Of the Highway accessory group available in 1965.

This tells me that if you have a '65 with the KOH grouping a ribbed cover was offered and would have been correct if you have this group on your '65.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
        Thanks Chris. I have all those pictures that show the top cover only. I also have reference that says that the ribbed battery cover was part of the King of the Highway group in 1965.

That's from Fields Panhead Book reference data as it refers to the details of what was in cluded in the King Of the Highway accessory group available in 1965.

This tells me that if you have a '65 with the KOH grouping a ribbed cover was offered and would have been correct if you have this group on your '65.
        Do you take what Greg Fields says as documentation? To me if there is no factory documentation it doesn't exist.

I just looked at my August 1964 Enthusiast, the New model Announcement. There is no information about The King Of The Highway Group in it.

The information about the King Of The Highway Group in "The Legend Begins" does mention a chrome battery cover. Not a ribbed cover but a chrome cover. However it does not specify which cover top or side. It is listed as part number 66370-65. Looking in the 1965 parts book I find 66370-65 listed as the top cover.

So the bottom line here is that the 1965 Panheads had a painted battery cover unless it had the King Of The Highway Group. Then it had a chrome top cover. The chrome top cover could also be ordered seperately as optional equipment.

There was no side cover offered for a 1965, painted, chromed, or ribbed.
        Last edited by Chris Haynes; 03-17-2009, 06:15 PM.
        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Thanks Chris,

I take what Greg Fields says as reference not gospel. At minimum he got his information somwhere, who knows if it's correct. That's why I asked the question.

Have you seen the 9/1964 Enthusiast with the accessories listed for 1965? I haven't but should be getting a copy soon. Wondering if the ribbed cover is there.

Either way as far as judging. Since a ribbed cover is in the '66 acessory book and has a -65 part number and available why would one get dinged for that cover? Wouldn't it just be considered an accessory applied after purchasing the bike?

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
          Do you take what Greg Fields says as documentation? To me if there is no factory documentation it doesn't exist.

I just looked at my August 1964 Enthusiast, the New model Announcement. There is no information about The King Of The Highway Group in it.

The information about the King Of The Highway Group in "The Legend Begins" does mention a chrome battery cover. Not a ribbed cover but a chrome cover. However it does not specify which cover top or side. It is listed as part number 66370-65. Looking in the 1965 parts book I find 66370-65 listed as the top cover.

So the bottom line here is that the 1965 Panheads had a painted battery cover unless it had the King Of The Highway Group. Then it had a chrome top cover. The chrome top cover could also be ordered seperately as optional equipment.

There was no side cover offered for a 1965, painted, chromed, or ribbed.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

[QUOTE=rbenash;77312]Have you seen the 9/1964 Enthusiast with the accessories listed for 1965? I haven't but should be getting a copy soon. Wondering if the ribbed cover is there.

I just looked through the September 1964 Enthusiast. There is no listing of accessories for the 1965 models.

Either way as far as judging. Since a ribbed cover is in the '66 acessory book and has a -65 part number and available why would one get dinged for that cover? Wouldn't it just be considered an accessory applied after purchasing the bike?
            A judge worth his salt will know what is what. The cover was not available until the 1966 model year. It doesn't make any difference how many times you ask this question or what spin you put on it. Face the facts. The ribbed cover is not correct for a restored 1965.
            Last edited by Chris Haynes; 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM.
            Be sure to visit;

Comment

In the '65 accessory catalog there is no mention of the battery cover or any pictures of a bike with one. In the '66 catalog it lists the "New" Battery cover and the "New" voltage regulator cover both with -65 numbers.
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                In the '65 accessory catalog there is no mention of the battery cover or any pictures of a bike with one. In the '66 catalog it lists the "New" Battery cover and the "New" voltage regulator cover both with -65 numbers.
                Robbie
                Yep, got those.
                Ray
                AMCA #7140

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris Haynes;77317]
                  Have you seen the 9/1964 Enthusiast with the accessories listed for 1965? I haven't but should be getting a copy soon. Wondering if the ribbed cover is there.

I just looked through the September 1964 Enthusiast. There is no listing of accessories for the 1965 models.

A judge worth his salt will know what is what. The cover was not available until the 1966 model year. It doesn't make any difference how many times you ask this question or what spin you put on it. Face the facts. The ribbed cover is not correct for a restored 1965.
                  Hey Chris - I'm new to the whole judging thing, that's why I'm posting questions. Not trying to get over on anyone/anything dude. Thanks for the info. I heard that there was an issue of 1964 enthusiast that had the new accessory group in it. Only reason I mentioned it. Thanks for checking for me. Do you have all 12 issues? Would you be willing to check if there is one with that listing?
                  Ray
                  AMCA #7140

Comment

I heard that there was an issue of 1964 enthusiast that had the new accessory group in it. Only reason I mentioned it. Thanks for checking for me. Do you have all 12 issues? Would you be willing to check if there is one with that listing?
                    I already looked in August-December 1964.
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Chris - again thanks for checking. I got that lead messed up and that's my fault. Sorry to have wasted your time. I was thinking of a response in the 1965 Panhead Book thread where the following info was posted by VPH-D

"Chris,
                      No, I have never seen any factory documentation on 51 footshifters, it's just one of those stories/myths you hear over the years.

The battery side cover is not shown in my 55-65 parts book, but does show up in 99456-67
                      parts supplement book, dated Sept 1966. It is shown as 65-*.
                      VPH-D"

My memory couldn't have been worse and I apologize for wasting your time. I do appreciate your feed back and info though.

Flat top covers and original batteries are the rule, man that's a tough one. Not so much the cover but finding an old battery case to modify that isn't cracked from being frozen.

As I look into this more and more the value of having my bike judged is rapidly becoming a diminishing interest. I beleive I can get better information regarding '65 Pans from these forums, my own research, and talking to folks like yourself and other '65 owners. And looking at other '65 restorations/runners.

I'm much more interested in running this bike. But I want to make sure that what ever I do keeps it as "original/correct" as possible.
                      Last edited by rbenash; 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM.
                      Ray
                      AMCA #7140

Comment

Wanted to follow up on this. I wasn't totally dreaming. Looks like there was in fact an accessories insert in the November '64 enthusiast regarding accessories for '65. Magic provided that detail on the other post running in Parkling Lot Chatter:

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ad.php?t=14234

Thanks all!
                        Ray
                        AMCA #7140

Comment

Wanted to follow up on this. I wasn't totally dreaming. Looks like there was in fact an accessories insert in the November '64 enthusiast regarding accessories for '65. Magic provided that detail on the other post running in Parkling Lot Chatter:

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ad.php?t=14234

Thanks all!
                          That is the Christmas accessory flyer. It doesn't show a chrome side cover for the battery. The 1965 Panhead shown proudly shows off its black battery.
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Yep, that's how I understand it.
                            Ray
                            AMCA #7140

Comment

On the battery cover thing--- you can add period accessories to your bike and they are not to be judged as long as they don't detract from the appearance of your bike. This may help you skirt the issue, maybe not.
                              Last edited by jwl; 03-21-2009, 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X