No announcement yet.

Competition models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like option # 2, a couple of weeks, (Is that an optimistic time estimate or are you really that fast?) and enough money thrown at it to make it a rider. There are plenty of shiney Powerpluses out there and parting out a complete or nearly complete old bike is just wrong.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Get 'er runnin' as is man! I don't necessarily think shiney equals preserving history!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        I think Jurrasic is an artist. I hope he continues to produce works of art well into the future. In many cases he is starting with only an engine or a frame and through skill, devoted attention to detail, and historical research he brings another piece of history back to a tangible, 3 dimensional state. What he does is priceless and will serve future devotees of the antique motorcycle.

I remember the ebay ad and it was not misleading. He was advertising a collection of Excelsior parts that would be a good foundation for a restoration. He never said it was a race bike. I remember it because I'm tuned into Excelsior stuff and I thought about buying that pile.

What the next owner does with Jurrasic's bikes or anyone's bike that is sold is their business. Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware. In our hobby we have to know what we're looking at. Knowledge is a huge part of this and when some rich (or dumb) guy buys a bike without knowing it's background or it's basic historical place in motorcycling, he's probably going to pay too much. It's no different than the stock market.
        I'm curious on how many newbie entry level folks out there are buying that kind of iron. I mean isn't it a fatter wallet game now? I don't see super low entry level prices that would entice an average new member. So the fellas that have been in the game for enough years should (for the most part) be able to distinguish the difference, even if it's just on the bikes reputation. The guys with the big bucks may not care anyway, I mean it's only "art" after all.........
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          When I first formed my business three decades ago, I made the mistake of telling my insurance agent that I occasionally 'fabricated' parts. "Then you must have manufacturer's insurance!" he exclaimed with his lace in a knot.

When I noted it to my attorney, he replied with distain: "Fabricating is counterfeiting."

They are words that mean different things to different people, like "original", or "restored".

Please consider the two DLX70's pictured below.
          (The first is thanx to the Dec. issue of IronWorks magazine.)

Frankly, they are both "fakes" in one way or another. But one has been faked by a "restoration expert", and one has been faked by a student of carburetors. Which one should an AMCA judge point his stinkfinger at? Which one has been irreversibly altered forever?

IMHO, over-restoring has always been more of a threat to history than piling up refugee parts from swapmeets and making a machine out of them.

....Cotten
          Is the chrome not period correct??? (grinning)...
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

first comment to you all - I thought the old MARTIN quit the club and all this finger pointing and bickering was far behind us - you remember old MARTIN bad mouthing everyone with a non-original part on their bike because he was pissed he did not do his research when buying an old restored bike

2nd - nice find lonnie - do your magic and don't give a second thought to all the wanna-be's the wish they had 1/3 the talent you have with these old machines

aka HAWG
            1914 excelsior single belt drive - as found original condition with a few repo parts because originals are not easy to find
            1940 indian chief - under rustoration - because I don't want a shiny bike
            1965 sportster xlch -
            1971 bsa chopper - period original chopper
            1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
            1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
            1940 indian chief military
            1965 sportster xlch
            1969 sportster xlch bobber
            1971 bsa A65 chopper
            1969 harley ss350 sprint
            1960 harley topper
            1963 harley topper
            H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
            H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
            1949 harley model 125 bobber project
            1959 harley model 165
            1960 harley super 10
            1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
            EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

do what you enjoy and screw the rest just don't screw the rest with what you enjoy
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                do what you enjoy and screw the rest just don't screw the rest with what you enjoy
                more profound words than this, i've yet to hear.
                Last edited by jurassic; 12-02-2008, 10:03 PM.
                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

And Confusious say.....Man who have hole in pocket, feel cocky all day.

Comment

Wow Paps, that's a hard comment to follow.
                    I don't think there's a way to control any misleading on "counterfeiting". I also feel there's a need & real skill in making a new part match decades of weathering. We just have to be on guard when purchasing. Ebay is difficult, i know I've been burned many times. Buyers tend to want to find what they're looking for.
                    I remember an episode on Antiques Roadshow, where a guy inherited his fathers autographed book collection. He lived off the sales of those books for many years & when they started to run out he forged new autographs in books. Apparently he was very good because he did this for his entire life. Anyway, the expert on Antiques Roadshow said that the guy's forgeries were highly prized & worth more than originals. So, you never know maybe Jurassic's bikes will have a similar future.
                    Bob
                    Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X