No announcement yet.

Wheel Spokes - 1982 Harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything is possible, but likely not. You likely thinned it quite a bit.

zinc is very soft. You can remove it by soaking parts in vinegar, if you’re patient. But it also adheres to base really well and can be struck thin. Not as thin as cad, but thin.

your nos spokes should be grey after all these years. Zinc ages on the shelf.

Comment

Here are the NOS front spokes, correct part number, made in 1999 (1988?). They are shiny, and have the shorter torx head nipples. The short stem spokes will be the same, as are the 16" ones. So my conclusion is to use them all as they came. I think they are supposed to be bright zinc.

IMG_4350.JPG
      Last edited by joe fxs fxr; 05-02-2022, 05:31 PM.
      AMCA #41287
      1971 Sprint SS350 project
      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

While waiting for the other set of front spokes I assembled the rear wheel. Timken bearings, powder coated hub, cleaned and polished spokes, nipples and rim, and the correct bearing spacer. The last guy in here shimmed a shorter spacer but the shim rubbed on the bearing and became dish-shaped. $10 to do the job right!

IMG_4365.JPG

Something I can’t explain is this side spokes are supposed to cross their counterparts on the first side, but when I tried that they wouldn’t reach the correct holes by a lot. I oriented them opposite and they lined up perfectly. This wheel was originally a front wheel with the newer aluminum hub. I laced it to the old style steel hub from my FXR. When I bought the wheel I checked the online fiche and the spokes on a Road King or Heritage Softail front wheel are the same part number as the rear wheel for my bike, 43241-05. I checked from 2000 up to 2012 which was the date code on the tire. Any ideas?
        AMCA #41287

Comment

There is a place in New Jersey that just did a set of stock spokes in cad for my motorcycle. It was $200 for 80 spokes and nipples and they came out very nice. They did recommend that I clean and polish the spokes before plating to get the best results. Cas plated spokes look much better in the wheel than the stainless ones I removed.

Comment

I like the look of cadmium plated spokes, and nipples and it does hold up well with age, and a protected environment. If you leave it outside without any care, cadmium will degrade. Both of my pans have genuine H-D spokes that were re- cadmium plated about 15 years ago and both bikes still look good because they don't live outside. There are modern silver paints that replicate the cadmium color that are far safer, and affordable and also can be touched up but it is always better to go for the correct, and genuine finish if available, and affordable. Harley-Davidson used cadmium plating because it was cheap in the old days, and held up well with average use, but cadmium is quite toxic, and getting harder to find platers that will do it. I believe AMCA judging recognizes the use of silver paint on (originally) cadmium plated parts.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks, guys. I think by 1982 the cad plating was replaced by bright zinc. The bike is a roller and the motor should be ready for me to paint and assemble in a couple of weeks. Shooting for the Yankee Chapter meet July 30/31

IMG_4435.JPG
              AMCA #41287

Comment

I have an NOS OEM incomplete set of spokes for a similar wheel. I think it is missing 2 of one type of spoke and 1 of the other. I will check part # tomorrow. Willing to sell if you are interested. Jerry

Comment

Working...
                X