Saturday Judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Judging

Just wondering if at the meets that judge Saturday does everyone packs up and leave after the judging, bet it's deserted by Saturday night?

Louie

Saturday Judging

Louie
    you can bet the farm on that, by 5:00 PM it is a ghost town

Comment

Is Wauseon going to be a Saturday judging event as well?

Comment

And there was me thinking the AMCA was about riding and sharing a passion for old bikes, rather than just trailering a bike to a meet and leaving as soon as you've got your little piece of paper to say in someone else's opinion how shiny your bike is............

I thought the abbreviation AMCA stood for the "Antique Motorcycle Club of America"

not the

" Spotless Not Ridden Antique Motorcycle Taken to an Event in the Back of a Trailer Surrounded by Cotton Wool Club of America"

Comment

There certainly is a lot more of that Smarty. I recall a friend of mine unloading his H-D racer for judging a number of years ago. I offered to help since only his wife was there for assistance. He declined my offer stating he had it under control. He and his wife then put on white cotton gloves and laid blankets down so the spotless white tires would not get grass stained. I remember slowly backing away from the scene in embarrassment for them. It was a beautiful bike, and he did a great job on the restoration but, my God man, show some dignity ! I like a well done restoration but if the bike looks like it was built in a clean room at NASA then it's an abomination.

Comment

I use rubber gloves,...
            to keep me clean from handling my 'NeglectaGlides'!

But I still respect those who put such earnest effort into re-createing history. The investment in time almost overshadows the money. Almost.
            Supporting that aspect of vintage appreciation is every bit as important a mission for this organization as promoting active presence on the highway. They go hand in hand.

I have yet to ever have a machine of my own judged (although I tried once). The system requires a little study, as it is intended to be a service, not a competition. It is only a small facet of the organization's fostering of our 'hobby'. Ritualized anal behavior in no way prevents the rest of us from continuing to enjoy our own pieces of history, as we continue to destroy them,.. over, and over, and over....or try to,.. anyway.

....Cotten

Comment

I agree with Cotton, I wear gloves to keep me clean, I respect people who build and handle their bikes like babies, and I'm one of the ones the beleive that the bikes are for me to enjoy by running the heck out of them. If you see a greasy, smoking, red and white VL with GA plates pass you on a National RR. Catch up to me at the next stop and say hello.

Louie

Comment

I enjoy looking at the judged machines to see what is correct.
                I'm thankful for the period modified class. I feel it's important.

I really enjoy the people and the experience of participating
                in a national road run. It's a different mind set.
                We're a small group that has a heck of alot of fun.
                To ride along with an orig paint machine or a belt drive
                is the pinacle for me.

I think alot of people have riders in addition to potential
                100 pointers in the stable. Investment in time and money.
                Well, I can understand the baby mits.

AMCA - Something for everyone hopefully.

Comment

I just this week will finish a 3 year very long restoration on my Indian. Lot of money and tons of time. Gloves sound good to me. The key is to have another bike for road runs.
                  At the AMCA meet in Dixon Ca. the first year, Sunday judging saw only the owners of the show bikes there. The next year judging on Saturday, many people got to see the show bikes. Much better for all. Those that want to run em on Sunday did so, no crowd needed for that.

Comment

Anywhere I've ever been, car show or bike show (though our judgings are technically not a show), it is always the same. As soon as the judging is complete and the awards given, it is a scramble for the exit. However, as an idea, why not do the judging on Saturday afternoon and present the results at the banquet on Saturday evening?
                    Lonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Lonnie
                      why not do the judging on Saturday afternoon and present the results at the banquet on Saturday evening?
                      Many of your best judges are vendors. "Swapping" is the biggest event at these meets - an opportunity to meet people, no matter which side of the vending booth you're on. To hold judging on Saturday is akin to asking your judges to give up a big part of the event (not to mention $$'s for some of them).

Judging at Wauseon this year took about five hours. There were maybe 15 judges and many more apprentices. If there were a lot more judges active, maybe Saturday would make sense. There just doesn't seem to be a line of volunteers waiting their turn to be a judge.

Comment

Saturday Judging

Many of your best judges are vendors. "Swapping" is the biggest event at these meets - an opportunity to meet people, no matter which side of the vending booth you're on. To hold judging on Saturday is akin to asking your judges to give up a big part of the event (not to mention $$'s for some of them).

Brian
                        you hit the nail right on the head,
                        the BEST judges we have on the field are vendors. I cannot ask them to give up making a living to judge bikes. the smaller meets start the judging after 3:00 PM on Saturday and I then have the good judges to work, BUT at the larger meets we need more time to judge the 60 to 80 bikes on the field therefore Sunday is the best day.
                        Kevin

Comment

You're right, Kevin. I didn't even think of that aspect. One thing, though, once the apprentices become fully "trained", you will have a much larger pool of personnel to utilize.

Lonnie

If you want some grief, buy a Chief. Want some more? Buy a four.

Comment

Judging

I'm really excited about having my '42 Harley XA judged at Dixon this year.

However, I was under the impression judging at an AMCA meet was kind of all during the weekend and awards were given on Sunday.

What's the timeline for an AMCA event?

Comment

saturday judging

the Fort Sutter Chapter does the judging on Saturday afternoon,
                              the time of judging is entirely up to the host chapter, so it is a good idea to read the ad's in the national magazine for any meet you want to attend. you could also contact the host chapter and ask when they plan on judging

Comment

Working...
                              X